Random command line window

Reaction score
At seemingly random times a command window will pop up and several lines of commands will appear and then the window closes. This all happens so fast I can't read the commands or try to capture the window. This has occurred while I am doing all sorts of different things from watching a Youtube video to editing a photograph in Lightroom or Photoshop. I never saw anything like this in Win 7 (different PC) and this is my first experience with Win 10 so I don't know if this is normal or not but it doesn't "feel" like something that should be happening. I've scanned with Malwarebytes but nothing detected.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

You may be able to find something in your Task Scheduler that could be what is popping up in the Command Console.
  • In your Search/Cortana box type Task Scheduler
  • Left-click on Task Scheduler app to open

By default this opens displaying events for last 24 hours, but using the drop arrow you can select to view other time periods also if you need to. If there are any events listed there you ought to note them and investigate what they are doing. If you are not sure what they are post the details to this thread. Ending an offending task though would likely result in the random console not appearing. My guess is there may be a Driver Update utility working in the background. It could literally be anything though. A third party application may be checking for updates etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Regedit32. I ran Task Scheduler and it doesn't show any suspect task in the last 7 days. The latest CMD line window was 2-3 days ago. Under "display all running task" is shows several Ms\Windows and McAfee task running, nothing strange. There are 49 task listed under 'Active Task' that I plan to review.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Under "display all running task" is shows several Ms\Windows and McAfee task running, nothing strange.

Hi,

You might want to check your McAfee settings as those consoles you are seeing may just be it updating virus definition lists. If that is the case, perhaps its being a little too zealous in checking online for updates. Once or twice a day ought to be adequate.

You could also consider opening Task Manager: right-click Start | left-click Task Manager and from there click the Startup tab as there me be something loading as machine starts up that is the culprit. If the issue continues, you could experiment disabling the odd start up item and running PC without them starting a few days to see if the problem goes away. If it does then its your call whether to leave the item disabled, or whether to re-enable it and just put up with the command console popping up from time to time.

Re several instances of McAfee appearing - if you meant appearing in Task Manager, that actually should not be occuring. There ought to be just the single instance of it running, although you maybe also run a Firewall associated with McAfee so that would get its own instance on the Task Manager. I don't use that particular Antivirus application, so consider this thought just an opinion and not a sure fact per se.

I just know my own security software only appears once in Task Manager so its something you may want to confirm with McAfee creators to make sure something is not going wrong there as you want to be sure your Antivirus application is running correctly given its a critical part of your Security online and offline.

Ask a Question