SOLVED Random folders with 10 different files appearing

Reaction score
W10 Pro 64 bit latest update has been showing Random folders with 10 different files appearing at random times, each folder has a name like Xwrap89 or Adate30 and files with files like these :-
Ca9Skve.jpg
deed_ignore_attach_difficulties.txt
HibZg.xlsx
katanga-walk-previously.doc

They will not open and the folder size is around 1.5mb

Kapersky, SpyBot, Malwarebytes, 1Obit suite all show nothing wrong

Google shows nothing like this, can anyone please shed some light?

Regards Dave Hill

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Considering the way the files are named (plus extensions), I would strongly suggest that something nefarious is doing this. They sound like they were intentionally generated with random names and extensions to mislead, rather than as temporary files.

The only other thing I can think of is that these are honeytrap files from anti-malware software. Are you using anything like RansomFree?

Reaction score
Thank you Ian for replying so quickly.
Yes I have coincidentally installed a program called Cybereason (RansomFree)!
What would a honey trap be in this context then?
David

Reaction score
Ian, now that you have given me a pointer I have googled again and read this:-

This application also creates a few specially-crafted documents and places them in various locations on your computer so that it can offer you a higher level of protection.

Although you can safely ignore these files, if you decide to delete them, it might have an adverse impact on the application's efficiency as a ransomware prevention tool.

Me thinks you might be right.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that looks like the culprit then :). Glad to hear it wasn't something nasty!

Reaction score
I have looked at the description on majorgeeks.com and this is legit ....
I can imagine that those files may be used as bait for ransomware but that is just a guess.....

Ask a Question