Randomly Losing Network Connection

j-t

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Packard Bell Easynote TK37 that has recently been "upgraded" to windows 10 and ever since keeps randomly losing internet connection. This is happening nearly every time I use the pc, it loses connection for 30seconds or so then reconnects.

The network adapter is Broadcom 802.11N

Connected to a Virgin superhub.

I have Avast internet security installed

Any suggestions welcome

Many thanks

Last edited:

j-t

Reaction score
I have viewed event viewer and can see a number of errors/warnings

Tcpip - warning - 4230
Perflib - Error - 1008
Application error - Error - 1000
Wlan-autoConfig - Error - 4003
DNS Client Events - warning - 1014
SideBySide - Error - 35
DeviceSetupManager - warning - 123
k57nd60a - warning - 4

Reaction score
Not sure it is your machine, I am having similar issue after big update. Keep losing my connection but then when I right click on wifi logo in tray and troubleshoot is says 'The windows wireless service is not running on this computer'. It then gives me the option to repair as administrator and that works for 20 minutes or so then I have to do it all again, aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Reaction score
I was having similar issues on my wife's laptop until I switched her to a static IP address. That seems to have solved the problem. My laptop had been on a static IP originally for gaming purposes and never did exhibit the connection dropping.

j-t

Reaction score
ok, so I have tried a number of things including changing settings to network adapter/usb hubs to not allow power saving mode, thought this had solved the problem but just been disconnected again.

how do I change to a static IP address?

j-t

Reaction score
many thanks, how do I find out what the "enter in the correct IP, Subnet mask, and Default gateway that corresponds with your network setup. Then enter your Preferred and Alternate DNS server addresses"?

Reaction score
Ok... you start by right-clicking the Start icon and choosing 'Run'. Type 'cmd' without the ticks. In the box that appears, type 'ipconfig/all' as shown here:

upload_2016-1-14_17-58-6.png

A lot of information will display. Scroll up/down until you find the section: "Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi", as seen here:

upload_2016-1-14_18-1-18.png

In this section, you will find your current IP address (shown as IPv4 Address... note that this one shows '192.168.1.200 (Preferred)' as this is from my laptop, which is already set as a static IP device... yours will not show '{Preferred)' initially), Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) value and Default Gateway (192.168.1.1) value and Preferred DNS Server value (192.168.1.1)... (you can ignore Alternate DNS Server... you won't need it).

To determine the IP address you want to set as your static IP, you have to take a few things into account. Your router will have a Start IP Address, so your static IP value must be greater than that value. You will have to take into account the number of devices you have on your network, so set your IP value higher than that number of devices. Also, your router will have a maximum number of allowed devices, so don't go higher than that value.

For example: Let's say your router's starting IP address is 192.168.1.100, its maximum number of devices is 50, and you have 5 devices connected to it. Their addresses probably range from 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.105. In this case you'd probably want to set the static IP of the device in question to 192.168.1.110 or higher, just to keep it unique and out of the auto-assignment range of the router.

I might have gone a little overboard on setting my IP value at 200, but here's a screenshot of my TCP/IP Properties dialog, showing you the values that you need:

upload_2016-1-14_18-38-34.png

Reaction score
I had the same issue once I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 home 64bit. The internet would randomly disconnect on my laptop. All other devices connected via wifi were fine, so I knew it wasn't the Router.

Here is the cause and hopeful resolution.
My Broadcom wireless N adapter is connected to the Router via wifi okay, but during the day the internet
will drop briefly and then the laptop locks up which then needs a full power off/on to fix the lock up.

I found that when I upgraded to Win10 Home edition 64bit earlier this year, that the Broadcom wireless N adapter driver was upgraded automatically with a signed driver by Microsoft :-(

I had to change the Broadcom wireless N adapter driver back to the original one that was installed when the OS was Win7 Home 64 bit.

Solution:
So you need to right click the start button and launch the command prompt as Admin.
Enter your Admin credentials ( hopefully you know this )
At the elevated command prompt As Admin type the following and then hit enter,
devmgmt.msc

Once the device manager window loads, navigate to Network Adapters and expand it.
Highlight your Broadcom Wireless N adapter, right mouse click and left click on properties.
Under the General tab make sure the device status is "This device is working properly".
Click the Driver tab at the top and check the driver provider details. Probably MS.
Click Update Driver
Click Browse my computer for driver software.
Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Now you should see a list of compatible hardware, hopefully it lists one or two Network adapters by
Broadcom.

For my laptop , I choose this one ( which was the original from Win7 64bit ) Your version may be different depending on the manufacturer of the computer and the Broadcom driver provided.

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver ver 5.100.235.19

Highlight the relevant Network adapter, then click next.

That driver should be installed and you should see, that your wifi icon in your system tray will switch off and then
back on as it reconnects to your Router.

Once that's done you can close the window and see how that goes for surfing, hopefully it fixes your Internet issue random disconnects and unable to display a web page.

*** If it is still an issue, then you could try the steps above a choose the other Broadcom Wireless N adpater, or check the make/model of your computer and then check what the original wireless adapter driver version is via the manufacturers webpage. You could download it for Win7and then repeat the steps above and then where it says show compatible hardware click "Have disk" and browse to the folder where you downloaded the driver for your computer. Make sure the files are extracted first and then you pick the driver name which has a file extension of filename.inf and install that one.

Hi All,

I have a Packard Bell Easynote TK37 that has recently been "upgraded" to windows 10 and ever since keeps randomly losing internet connection. This is happening nearly every time I use the pc, it loses connection for 30seconds or so then reconnects.

The network adapter is Broadcom 802.11N

Connected to a Virgin superhub.

I have Avast internet security installed

Any suggestions welcome

Many thanks

Ask a Question