Re-enable windows 10 after a windows 7 downgrade

Reaction score
Hi,
Due to a few driver issues i tried a downgrade to win7. I loaded a win7 install disk and did a custom install. Booted ok, but i have decided it's not worth the effort to re-install all my old programs, so i want to revert back to windows 10.
The win7 install placed the Win10 files in the standard windows.old file.
MS has this article for reinstalling the windows.old:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/971760

Wondering if that's all there is to it (although step5 of restoring the MBR is not specific for windows 10)
Has anyone else done this, or have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, i renamed the windows.old files, rebooted, and...
Win10 mostly came up, but the start button no longer works, and outlook also does not work, otherwise the other 75% works. To bad MS doesn't support this reversion.

Reaction score
I have done one Reversion to Windows 8.1 from 10 which seemed to put me back in a normal 8.1 system. I was upgradable again if I wanted.

Windows 7 to 10 seems to have its own problems but reverting to Windows 7 should have worked normally and you would be in about the same situation as I was but I can't be sure.

You may have leftover files on your current system which help or hurt another upgrade but you should at least have been able to download the image and use that to upgrade.

You do also have the option to do a clean install if you previously had Windows 10 installed as an upgrade and activated.

Reaction score
The downgrade to win7 was fine, I just don't want to re-install all my apps, plus some are no longer available. It's the reversion back to 10 that does not work well (no start menu, outlook failing).

Ask a Question