SOLVED Re-Install From USB Drive Error

Reaction score
I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days. However, suddenly when doing it again I get this error:

"your pc/device needs to be repaired. the boot configuration data does not contain valid information for an operating system"

Anyone know what could have happened, and how to resolve this? Not sure I can boot from the thumb drive and access any repair modes.

I do have a windows 10 SSD working, a second SSD blank, and the USB Windows installation thumb drive that seems to be working when I click on it.

Is there a way to install Windows 10 onto a clean drive on my PC that also has a working second drive on the same computer, with or without the thumb drive? Then I could remove the source disk and just be left with the new clean install disk as my PC disk. And cloning won't work as the new drive is smaller.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, it is considered a "good" practice to only have your installation target drive attached to the appropriate interface connector (usually SATA 0, depending on how they are numbered) and your source installation media connected to your computer during the installation.
That will prevent the boot configuration data partition being placed inappropriately on a second drive.
Cold boot your computer and use the appropriate keyboard key (HP = Esc, Dell = F12) to evoke the one time boot menu to boot the system to your installation media.
You may need to check your particular system's documentation to determine the correct key.

Afterwards you should be able to reconnect the other drive(s) to another empty SATA connector that is not SATA 0.

Reaction score
I tried that to no avail. I have 6 SATA ports, and only have 1 SSD in (the drive that I want to install W10 on). Didn't think it mattered which port I picked if I only have 1 SSD plugged in.

The USB installation drive is seen in Explorer, and it works on my other computer - it prompts to install Windows. This computer never gets that far.

Reaction score
Success! I created another bootable drive and it works. I created it on the computer I will be installing on. So my problem must have been either my original installation thumb drive got corrupted, or it matters which computer I make the thumb drive on. I would guess not the latter. Guess it got corrupted.

Thanks for all input.

Reaction score
AS you seem to be able to start the USB installation USB?
Try holding the volume UP key whilst booting the USB. This may get you into the repair section.

Ask a Question