SOLVED Re-install of Win 10.

Reaction score
I have so much gone wrong with my Win 10 O.S. that I'm going to have to re-install a fresh version. Is there a set of instructions anywhere for me to follow? I want to know how to save my settings etc? I know how to save my other stuff, I just moved it to another hard drive. My computer is an HP P6-2203a desktop I've added a 1tb HDD to it. Any help with this will be appreciated.

Reaction score
I've added a 1tb HDD to it
Was that drive Added to the original or is it a Replacement?

When a computer is well screwed up I use the MCT/Media Creation Tool to get either the .iso file used to create the bootable DVD or use it to create the Bootable USB drive.

Then I boot to Linux Mint LiveDVD or Bootable USB and use GPARTED to delete All the partitions on the drive intended to hold Windows. After that I disconnect any other drive "just in case".

After that I boot either the Windows DVD or the Thumb drive and let its install routine take over. With the empty drive I have not had two worry about GPT, UEFI or MBR, the install takes care of what the computer can support.

If one has a slow Internet or metered connection I disconnect from the 'net then choose on one of the windows to NOT check for updates, can do that later.

As for settings it may work to Export the Registry [in Regedit] and try to Import but usually there's sufficient corruption it works best to just do a full start-over.

Reaction score
The 1tb hard drive was added to the original 1tb ''C'' drive that came with the computer. I tried Linux Mint a few years ago but I found it near on useless compared to Windows besides my Linux OS was hacked in the short time it was installed. What I'm looking for is a clear set of instructions I can follow to re-install Win 10. I have my downloads, photos, pictures, documents, music, etc... on my ''F'' drive so all I really need now (I think?) is my Win 10 settings (passwords, etc) saved to my ''F'' drive as well before my ''C'' drive is formatted. My computer came with Win 7 and has been updated to Win 10. How do I save my settings?

Reaction score
Get the media creation tool, here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Make sure you select the correct edition of OS (Home:pro:etc. &4 or 32Bit)

Follow the instructions on the same page.
You can, from the eventual download, create a bootable USB or DVD.
Boot up you Iso and follow the instructions. Only thing to remember is, at the early stages, when it asks for a key, click the option (I do not have one) The key is already registered with your motherboard and should not be needed.
You will be asked if you wish to keep your private data.. That will keep your original settings, but NOT any programs you may have installed - they will have to be reinstalled.
At the end, you will be asked some simple questions as to what facilities you want - consider and answer carefully.
That is really all there is to it.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Dave! This is something I can understand and is exactly what I need.

Reaction score
I didn't have to do anything other than agree to Microsoft conditions twice and there were a few pre-ticked boxes to keep personal data, etc... It was about a 3-hour process and my computer was back to new with all my Bookmarks, Photos, Documents, Downloads and Programs, etc... re-installed as well! I didn't have to do anything but wait while my Jack Russell dog was hassling the crap out of me to take her for her evening walk. I was too scared to leave the computer in case something came up but it turned out to be a very easy process, at last Microsoft has done something to make a re-install of Win 10 super easy.

Reaction score
That sounds fine. I had been going to add that your settings may just have been the source of your grief! I hoped you checked everything for malware/viruses before putting them back.
For what it's worth I swapped a laptop hard drive for a new SSD. I spring-cleaned and copied all my data I wanted to keep onto an external hard drive.
I had immense difficulty getting the media creation tool to function properly (in fact that was the most frustrating part of the exercise) but eventually it did and I now have the latest windows 10 build safely on a stick. It was simple installing the new windows, free from bloatware. It was followed by an anti-virus app and new installs of the apps I needed, lengthy I know but with a 100% guarantee nothing corrupted gets in - and you can decide whether that 'must have' of over three years ago that was used once only really is needed!
Newegg on YouTube have produced excellent step by step tutorials on building PC's including installing the OS. Well worth keeping as a reference, especially when it comes to chipset etc updates.
I'm impressed with my laptop now. 12 seconds from switch on to desktop beats the previous setup. And in spite of religiously keeping it updated, I find that I now have newer versions of eg Atheros.
SO, in summary, keep the new OS on a stick just in case. Look at YouTube for useful 'sets of instructions' - seeing it done whilst expertly explained beats a technical printed version - I still don't understand some of the stilted language in my PC Gigabyte motherboard booklet - but Newegg explained it!
Windows is far from perfect - but always check everything before installing it.

Reaction score
I just did this process - my wife's Samsung laptop was getting slow even though we only had about 1/3 of the 1tb of data. I used the media creation tool mentioned earlier and it worked flawlessly. I did do a new install of windows on the ssd and yes I had to add a few programs back on - RoboForm (her savior program), Chrome, QuickBooks and Office - all in about 4 hours while I installed a new echobee thermostat - which took me 6 . The only thing that threw me was getting the laptop to boot to the usb... it WAS mentioned in the MCT documentation but of course I did not read all the fine print before getting to that part... I'm a male ya know... I am going to do it on my Lenovo desktop next.

Reaction score
That sounds fine. I had been going to add that your settings may just have been the source of your grief! I hoped you checked everything for malware/viruses before putting them back.
For what it's worth I swapped a laptop hard drive for a new SSD. I spring-cleaned and copied all my data I wanted to keep onto an external hard drive.
I had immense difficulty getting the media creation tool to function properly (in fact that was the most frustrating part of the exercise) but eventually it did and I now have the latest windows 10 build safely on a stick. It was simple installing the new windows, free from bloatware. It was followed by an anti-virus app and new installs of the apps I needed, lengthy I know but with a 100% guarantee nothing corrupted gets in - and you can decide whether that 'must have' of over three years ago that was used once only really is needed!
Newegg on YouTube have produced excellent step by step tutorials on building PC's including installing the OS. Well worth keeping as a reference, especially when it comes to chipset etc updates.
I'm impressed with my laptop now. 12 seconds from switch on to desktop beats the previous setup. And in spite of religiously keeping it updated, I find that I now have newer versions of eg Atheros.
SO, in summary, keep the new OS on a stick just in case. Look at YouTube for useful 'sets of instructions' - seeing it done whilst expertly explained beats a technical printed version - I still don't understand some of the stilted language in my PC Gigabyte motherboard booklet - but Newegg explained it!
Windows is far from perfect - but always check everything before installing it.

"and I now have the latest windows 10 build safely on a stick"..., it's the "latest" today, tomorrow, maybe not so much. I used to make disks and sticks to "have a fresh install" in case I needed it. But do you understand how quickly this OS is evolving? I've found that the MCT is always available. When I "need" a fresh install, I get the latest, or at least, the most current version. Just a thought.

Reaction score
MCT is ok, but if you want to "Repair Install" recommended if your OS suddenly acts strange, you should use the exact same OS that you originally installed with. simple insert the USB or DVD and run setup. It is recommended you use MAKE ISO, it also is recommended to use the USB method. you also can use the RESET option, Win logo + I --> update & security --> Recovery --> Reset this PC

M

Mustapha Elkrim

Hi, in my experience you should install Windows 10 from scratch! Same like when you buy a new car, you don't need to take anything from the old one and install it in the new one! Just the License Plate. well consider the plate as the Serial Number.
Format your new drive, install windows 10, activate it, Done.
For your settings? Take pictures. One you copy your settings, or mess with the registry? Windows will act STUPID. Believe me, years of suffering the Windows syndrome! I want to find the best way to end it all!!!
THE BEST WAY TO (FIX-GET RID OF PROBLEMS) IS TO REINSTALL FRESH WINDOWS 10. Period.
All the rest is about money!?

Reaction score
I have so much gone wrong with my Win 10 O.S. that I'm going to have to re-install a fresh version. Is there a set of instructions anywhere for me to follow? I want to know how to save my settings etc? I know how to save my other stuff, I just moved it to another hard drive. My computer is an HP P6-2203a desktop I've added a 1tb HDD to it. Any help with this will be appreciated.
The advice given to you in regards to the OP reinstallation from "davehc" is spot on and I would also suggest that you do a clean install with a complete 'format' of your HDD.

I would also advise that you upgrade this computer as it is getting a bit old. What are the specs of your HP P6-2203a? Is it got the AMD A8-5500 CPU (with 4 cores/4 threads, 3.2 to 3.7GHz, L2 cache of 4MB, TDP 64W) which can be upgraded to a more speedy AMD A10-5800K (at 3.8 to 4.2GHz) and are you using the integrated Radeon HD 7560D graphics or do you have the optional Radeon HD 7450 graphics card? How much RAM do you have? Do you only have the default 4 GB/PC3-12800 MB/sec?

As these are also very important aspects and critical in the speed and efficiency of running Win-10 64bit, as i said, the HP P6-2203a is a bit old (circa 2012) and might need upgrading (which is not a problem to do) and I would suggest that you at least upgrade this computer to a 8GB+/PC3-12800 MB/sec RAM and preferably an SSD hard drive, which will give you at least 100% more performance and make your Win-10 work fluently. It’s just a thought and some advice for you, cheers.

Reaction score
"and I now have the latest windows 10 build safely on a stick"..., it's the "latest" today, tomorrow, maybe not so much. I used to make disks and sticks to "have a fresh install" in case I needed it. But do you understand how quickly this OS is evolving? I've found that the MCT is always available. When I "need" a fresh install, I get the latest, or at least, the most current version. Just a thought.
It's more a temporary safety net than anything else. i suppose we're really using Windows 22 or 23 if the truth be known.

Reaction score
I don't think some people understood what I said about my re-install of Win 10. That is, I didn't have to re-install any programs, files, photos, bookmarks, etc... my computer was automatically restored to exactly the way it was previously minus the bloatware and all the problems I was having with it!

Reaction score
I was so fed up with all the trash bloating Windows 10 that I reverted to Windows 8. I run it with a Classic Shell traditional desktop and I'm happy.

Reaction score
I have a HP notebook which was upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10 when offered free. Can I use MCT and don't want to save any personal data since I'm donating it to a person in need? Could I just use restore to Win8 and then run the CMT/ISO to upgrade to win0

Last edited:
Reaction score
once your computer desktop or laptop has a digital license via MS. simply Format the HDD/SSD and do a 100% clean install via MS Downloadable ISO. no bloat ware just Windows 10. when ask simply us the New persons name or as i usually do. USER

Reaction score
Whenever possible, I avoid all, or as much as I can, of the account process. Just "Skip" through all of that. But DO format the HDD after you create the media with the MCT to install a clean version.

Reaction score
when ask simply us the New persons name or as i usually do. USER
I come into give-away computers instead of letting them be thrown away and rehabbed them to be usable and will frequently use Owner for the name and create only a Local account, both can be changed later as the user desires, or not.

Ask a Question