Re-install Win 10 But Need To Amend Partition

Reaction score
When I first installed win 10, I left a 500mb partition at the beginning of the disc for system boot up . I know now that this was incorrect and that as the disc was already partitioned windows would create its own boot up system. I then merged this space/partition with the windows OS and it has never been a problem on the windows system, however it did cause a minor problem dual booting with Ubuntu as grub reads this small area and requires a command to continue booting.
Now when trying to upgrade ubuntu it is causing a real problem.

Question: Is there any way I can re-install windows 10 in a way that gives me access to the disc partitions so I can install windows on the same partition, starting at the beginning. I do not have a disc but I did a clean install of windows as opposed to upgrading from win 7. I cant remember how or where I got the OS from however it was during the period that windows 10 was free to win 7 users. I think the only way of getting rid of the free space at the beginning of the OS is to clear the partition and do a clean install and for this I need a disk or download from microsoft. Thanks

Reaction score
When I first installed win 10, I left a 500mb partition at the beginning of the disc for system boot up . I know now that this was incorrect and that as the disc was already partitioned windows would create its own boot up system. I then merged this space/partition with the windows OS and it has never been a problem on the windows system, however it did cause a minor problem dual booting with Ubuntu as grub reads this small area and requires a command to continue booting.
Now when trying to upgrade ubuntu it is causing a real problem.

Question: Is there any way I can re-install windows 10 in a way that gives me access to the disc partitions so I can install windows on the same partition, starting at the beginning. I do not have a disc but I did a clean install of windows as opposed to upgrading from win 7. I cant remember how or where I got the OS from however it was during the period that windows 10 was free to win 7 users. I think the only way of getting rid of the free space at the beginning of the OS is to clear the partition and do a clean install and for this I need a disk or download from microsoft. Thanks
Thanks Robert. I have found an iso disk that I must have made when I d/l the OS. I guess there is no way of just removing the "free space" that is in front of the os?

Reaction score
An install disk will allow you, once booted off the disk, (once in PE/RE) to "clean all" (without quotes) the HDD with Diskpart. This will remove all partitions and allow you to reinitialize the disk as GUI. Use CMD with elevated privileges.

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. Its a long time since I used windows so I'm sorry but I'm not too sure that I understand parts of your response. Anyway I found the win 10 disk that I originally used to install windows but unfortunately although I set the bios to boot from the CD and received the message to hit any key to boot, it still booted into the Ubuntu grub menu. I will give it one more try and then unplug the ssd that Ubuntu is installed on.
Am I right in thinking that if I format the partition that windows is installed on then I can reinstall from the disk onto that partition. cheers

Reaction score
I would use MCT and create a USB Thumb Drive with all the latest updates rather than try to use that old DVD. Your computer has already been activated with windows 10 so as long as you install the same version Home or Pro it should activate with out issues.

I can't help you with the Dual Boot to Lunix. I ran some dual boots with Window 7 and 8 with 10 back in the beginning never fooled around with Lunix.

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. Its a long time since I used windows so I'm sorry but I'm not too sure that I understand parts of your response. Anyway I found the win 10 disk that I originally used to install windows but unfortunately although I set the bios to boot from the CD and received the message to hit any key to boot, it still booted into the Ubuntu grub menu. I will give it one more try and then unplug the ssd that Ubuntu is installed on.
Am I right in thinking that if I format the partition that windows is installed on then I can reinstall from the disk onto that partition. cheers

You can use a bootable USB/Flash drive, ISO DVD whatever you like...the main idea is to "clean" the HDD and the DISKPART "Clean all" command will do just that. If you cant boot to the DVD or USB, enter your Bios and set "Boot Order" to see ISO/USB. If you have Legacy booting option enable that as well if all else didn't bring you joy. Good luck keep us updated

Reaction score
Thanks guys. booting up ok now. I had to hit the enter key very fast. Thanks Clint yes I will try to burn a new copy of windows. As you say it will be an updated copy. Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. booting up ok now. I had to hit the enter key very fast. Thanks Clint yes I will try to burn a new copy of windows. As you say it will be an updated copy. Thanks
Hi, im currently d/l the updated windows files from Microsoft and will install when completed.

There is an issue that I don’t understand: The hard disc on my pc shows the various partitions and has classed the offending 500mb partition as unallocated space on drive 0.

I consider drive 0 to be the 120gb SSD as opposed to the 500GB SATA hdd. Ubuntu is on the SSD and the partitions are shown as follows:

Dirve 0 unalocated space 500mb

Drive 0 partition 1 83GB this is ubuntu OS SSD

Drive 0 partition 2 9.3 GB this is ubuntu swap SSD

Drive 0 partition 3 16.8CB this is ubuntu home SSD

Drive 0 unallocated space 1.4 GB Ubuntu SSD

Drive 1 partition 1 147 GB windows sata HDD

Drive 1 unallocated space 318.8 GB sata HDD

Why is the unallocated space of 500mb designated as drive 0 which appears to be the

SSD (ubuntu HDD) When it is actually on the (windows) 500GB hdd Drive 1

I want to leave the ubuntu drive 0 as it is and had hoped to merge the drive 1 partitions together including the 500mb unallocated space which has caused problems with ubuntu.,then re-partition for windows. Sorry to be so dim but I hope someone can help. Thanks

Ask a Question