Re-install Windows Defender in Windows 10

Reaction score
I was performing a File Cleanup operation and it included something call Windows Defender. I always click to delete everything it displays. So I did and it deleted Windows Defender. I have since learned what it is and want to reinstall. I do not understand why Microsoft would allow you to delete a part of the system from the file cleanup screen? But it did. How can I reinstall?

Reaction score
Are you certain you have uninstalled it, and not merely deleted a few associated files? I would say it is impossible to uninstall, as it is part of the system , but it may be disabled.

Open the "All Apps" in the start menu and scroll down to Windows System and see if it is in that folder. If so, click it and check , if it pops up, that it is running.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it may have been some old remnant of the former Windows Defender (circa Vista / Windows 7)?
The Windows 10 version of Defender is located here
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender and called MSASCui.exe perhaps locating and then double clicking that might reveal further information.

Ask a Question