Receiving Email with outlook account

Reaction score
Hi,
I set up an outlook accout in mail for my daughter that sends but doesn't receive mail?
Do the Outlook accounts/addresses in windows 10 ([email protected] - the 'de' is for Germany where I live) need to be linked to a pre-existing, email address from a non-microsoft ISP?? Or should the microsoft address send and receive mail like an address from any other ISP?
If so, any ideas why it's not receiving.
Thanks
David

Reaction score
Microsoft doesn't own all the E-Mail Servers which are provided by ISP/Internet Service Providers. Countries have their own code such as .ca for Canada, .uk for United Kingdom, .za for South Africa and your .de for Deutschland but a number of them will also have .co [same as .com in USA] as part of their address, or at least that's what it looks like in the messages I get. ISPs provide POP3 messaging so the incoming has to be set for pop and outgoing set for SMTP in the account settings as provided by the ISP.

Reaction score
Microsoft doesn't own all the E-Mail Servers which are provided by ISP/Internet Service Providers. Countries have their own code such as .ca for Canada, .uk for United Kingdom, .za for South Africa and your .de for Deutschland but a number of them will also have .co [same as .com in USA] as part of their address, or at least that's what it looks like in the messages I get. ISPs provide POP3 messaging so the incoming has to be set for pop and outgoing set for SMTP in the account settings as provided by the ISP.

Hi Thanks for your answer. Do you know if the Outlook.de address has it's own email server with POP3 and SMTP? My daughter doesn't have another email address so I'm trying to find out if the outlook.de address is all she needs or if I need to set up another address with another ISP and link that to the outlook.de address?

Reaction score
It appears that outlook.de shouldn't be used but something like (e-mail address removed), locally we use something like (e-mail address removed), whatever is assigned by our ISP, what we subscribe to. The website Hotmail.com or Outlook.com can be used in a Browser using the log-in set up [User name and password] or in an E-Mail Client [an installed program] using what the ISP provides.

Reaction score
It appears that outlook.de shouldn't be used but something like (e-mail address removed), locally we use something like (e-mail address removed), whatever is assigned by our ISP, what we subscribe to. The website Hotmail.com or Outlook.com can be used in a Browser using the log-in set up [User name and password] or in an E-Mail Client [an installed program] using what the ISP provides.

OK. Thanks. I've got it... I think the thing that threw me off the track was that I could send emails from the address (e-mail address removed) but that same address couldn't receive them.
Thanks again for you help and speedy replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi,
I set up an outlook accout in mail for my daughter that sends but doesn't receive mail?
Do the Outlook accounts/addresses in windows 10 ([email protected] - the 'de' is for Germany where I live) need to be linked to a pre-existing, email address from a non-microsoft ISP?? Or should the microsoft address send and receive mail like an address from any other ISP?
If so, any ideas why it's not receiving.
Thanks
David

Well whenever to setup your Email you need the setting supplied by your ISP or the email service. Typically you have to setup an in-coming server. This is where your in-coming email comes. Also you have to setup an Out-going email server (SMTP). Email out going servers are call SMTP servers. When you send an email the SMTP server routes your email to the internet and to the server of the destination's in-coming server. Most of the time if you have a POP3 account its a little more difficult to set up.

Here is an example on my ISP email setup (which is setup in Outlook or any client)

Incoming Mail Server
  • Host Name or incoming mail server
    • For IMAP: mail.brighthouse.com
    • For POP3: mail.brighthouse.com
  • User Name: Your email address
  • Password: Your email password
Outgoing Mail Server
  • SMTP: mail.brighthouse.com
  • Outgoing Server Port
    • For IMAP: 587
    • For POP3: 587
Incoming Settings