Recover JPEG images

Reaction score
Hi,

Please can anyone help - I have moved a number of photos from a USB thumb drive to my external HDD and somewhere in the process of copying and pasting - I have managed to corrupt the pictures. Well I think I had and cut and pasted as opposed to copy and pasted the pictures. I tried 'Recuva Software' which showed the JPEG's icon and the correct number I had (350+). However when you open they are showing red crosses as images. Tried 'Recuva' again but now this is not recovering which suggest they may have been over written.

Afterwards, I tried 'EaseUs' and this does after lengthy wait showing the recovered images singularly if I enter a randomised search of JPEG from my original USB thumb drive and opening the file confirms this. Now though, I know they are there, I can only see one image at time and then it will ask for an activation code or a payment :( Is there a way to retrieve all my photos back again with it being a free software or another method?

Bif

Reaction score
Recuva is the program you need, been using it for years when things go south.. disclaimer: it can't always retrieve badly corrupted files.
Give it a try.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Recuva is the program you need, been using it for years when things go south.. disclaimer: it can't always retrieve badly corrupted files.
Give it a try.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
Hi,

Just tried again with Recuva, as it was last night that I tried it first. Unfortunately, not showing the files that I am after. Plus, the state column says unrecoverable - I think possibly the files I want, may over written already. Some glimmer of hope to see them on EaseUs, now just a matter of what software and or process to retrieve them.

Bif

Reaction score
Sounds like the file structure might not be complete now..even if you are able to recover them with another program, the image will likley be incomplete.
This is speaking from experience.

Reaction score
Hi,

I can seem the image fine with EaseUs, with the preview option. Possibly the structure may be off though. Might try downloading a few off software options an older laptop.

Bif

Reaction score
Good luck, it's a horrible feeling when you lose photos.
Just curious.. did you use Deep Scan in Recuva?

Reaction score
Try your luck with Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery Premium. Interestingly, that's a single package, you can recover your multimedia files as well as repair corrupt JPEG's and Video's as well. I just did its review on one of review site platforms. It good!

Bif

Reaction score
repair corrupt JPEG's and Video's as well
Not to say you didn't find success with this program but I'm very skeptical as to it or any other program can actually repair corrupted media files (in my opinion) especially if they've been overwritten or portions missing..can't get something from nothing I've found.
But for the OP it's of no loss to try it.

Ask a Question