recover metro screen after reinstall

Reaction score
I had to rebuilt the computer. Before I started I did a complete backup. I can restore individual files or folders but I don't know in what file the Metro start menu resides. I have scoured the internet and found many articles that refer to a file appsFolder.menu.itemdata-ms and sometimes appsFolder.itemdata-ms however these files don't exist in the new Windows 10 install or the backup I created. I have another Windows 10 computer and I can't find it there either.
I have been able to recover everything else, contacts, favorites, desktop and even most settings.
The metro start menu was quite customized on the old installation and I'd really like to restore it. Does anyone know where it is? Is this even possible?
Thank you

Regedit32

Reaction score
That depends a little on what you want to adjust.

For the Current User logged in you can:
  • Open File Explorer
  • In File Explorer's address bar type or copy and paste the following, then press Enter key:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

For All Users Start Menu (i.e the Start Menu any user logging on to your computer sees):
  • Open File Explorer
  • In File Explorer's address bar type or copy and paste the following, then press Enter key:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Note: This assumes Windows is installed on the C partition. If it's on another partition change C: to the correct drive letter.

Ask a Question