Recovery

Reaction score
I have a recovery screen saying I need an installation or recovery disk. I have both but I can't get the computer to find the DVD drive. F8 isn't set up. How can I install or run a recovery? Thanks

Reaction score
I have a recovery screen saying I need an installation or recovery disk. I have both but I can't get the computer to find the DVD drive. F8 isn't set up. How can I install or run a recovery? Thanks

Reaction score

Reaction score
Change the boot order to CD/DVD drive. The function key is either F2 or F12. Mine ( Dell Inspiron ) is F12.

Shut down computer > restart computer > immediately tapping F2 or F12 key > change boot order to CD/DVD drive > insert Recovery or Installation DVD > exit Setup screen > restart.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello John B. and welcome to the forum.
As a rule, it is not considered good forum etiquette to cross post in multiple sub-forums.
I have merged all three of you threads into this one common location.
Follow the advise given by davidhk129 above and if you have any further problems regarding this matter please post them here and refrain from creating yet another thread unless it is a completely separate issues.
Additionally some information regarding your machine might prove helpful and specs that you feel comfortable posting is appreciated.

Reaction score
Sorry about multiple threads. The computer is an Asus Transformer Book. I have attached a USB DVD drive. The BIOS is the only screen I can get to and in the Boot menu there are only 2 options" 1) Windows Boot Manager, 2) Disabled. No way that I can see to add a DVD. Booting with any of the function keys does nothing. Pressing the Windows key gives me the BIOS. That's it. I would try removing the battery but it is not accessible on this 10", 2-way laptop.

Thanks

Reaction score
F12.jpg
Maybe you need to ask the users of Asus Transformer Book.
http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100-help/

By the way, for your reference only. With my Dell Inspiron, F12 will give me this......

*** here we go again. Screenshot appears at the top, no matter what I did. And I had been posting screenshots in this forum for quite some time now. No idea what is the problem.
Because I am using Win 10 TP 10049 ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
2) Disabled
Can you enable it.
I'm not familiar with your particular machine, but it sounds like a UEFI BIOS device.
If you know how to configure the BIOS, maneuvering with the arrow keys and using the enter key and or space bar or + / - keys to change or alter the values then you may be able to use a second boot device.

Your media that you use in that device will also have to be UEFI media so you may need to create a bootable USB thumb drive for that.
How did you manage to get Windows 10 installed on the computer the first time?

Reaction score
The locked screen problem is solved. I finally called Asus and was instructed to tap F9 while powering up. Voila--it booted up. THe first installation was via bootable DVD. I do have one other issue. The computer rejects the 64- bit version of Win 10 even though it has a 64- bit processor (Intel Atom Z3775 @1.45 GHz--2GB memory)). I've tried multiple times with DVD and bootable USB. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
The locked screen problem is solved. I finally called Asus and was instructed to tap F9 while powering up. Voila--it booted up. THe first installation was via bootable DVD. I do have one other issue. The computer rejects the 64- bit version of Win 10 even though it has a 64- bit processor (Intel Atom Z3775 @1.45 GHz--2GB memory)). I've tried multiple times with DVD and bootable USB. Any thoughts?
Define "rejects".

Reaction score
David. Are you selecting a new line before you upload? That is my procedure. Just tried it again (Windows 10) I can really put an image anywhere I wish.

Reaction score
By--"reject" the error message says "Your Installation Media Cannot Be Used to Install Windows" Your current version of Windows is 32-bit and does not match the architecture of the 64-bit installation media. Please insert the 32-bit media and restart Windows setup "

It looks like the 32-bit system is the problem. Do I have to wipe the disk to install 64-bit?

Thanks

Reaction score
Other than the fact that you posted in Windows 10 Forum and you have a Asus Transformer Book, there are some missing pertinent info that can be helpful............
1. What Windows version you are now running. Recent Asus Transformer Book usually comes with Win8/8.1
2. What Windows version is that Installation DVD of yours ?
3. If you want Win 10 TP installed, which build do you have in mind ?
4. Instead of "nuking" the hard drive, wouldn't it be more gentle just to download a 32-bit and burn it to a DVD/USB ? You only have 2 GB Ram in your Asus.

Reaction score
"Your Installation Media Cannot Be Used to Install Windows" Your current version of Windows is 32-bit and does not match the architecture of the 64-bit installation media. Please insert the 32-bit media and restart Windows setup "
You will only see that message while doing an in-place install. An in-place install will only work if you are installing the same Windows edition and bit version. If you are not installing the same edition and bit version, a clean install will be required.

Reaction score
Thank you both. I installed Win 10 32-bit over the Win 8 that came on the computer. David is probably right that 32-bit is fine for this computer. I don't think 64-bit brings any real advantages but I thought it would install while the 32-bit version was in place. If I reverted back to Win 8, which is an option, I doubt the 64-bit version would install. Thanks again.

Ask a Question