SOLVED Recycle Bin

Reaction score
I accidently deleted some photos. So went to Recycle to recover them. Not there? I ran a 3rd party scan and it showed them in $Recycle.Bin. I looked again. Nope not there? I can see many other files, just not these. Somehow these must be hidden (I guess). Why can I see some but not all is the question "and" what do I need to do so I can view and recover?
This is of course WIn10. Help Please!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Open File Explorer and go to you C:\ directory

Now up top click the View tab, then double-click Options to open folder options

In the folder options window select View tab then scroll down and remove check next to Hide protected operating system files

You'll now be able to see $RECYCLE.BIN and some sub-folders.

You ought to be able to access the $RECYCLE.BIN, the others are protected.

Note: This bin may be also located in the directory you deleted the photos from, so you should check there too if you still cannot find the images you want to restore.

When you are done, return to folder options and put that check back.

Reaction score
If the photo's you deleted were too large for the recycle bin they are gone permanently.

Reaction score
Thanks so VERY much! That did it. I recovered all the photos. Just wonder why this situation exists? You go to Recycle Bin on the Desktop and can view a hundred different files, but not those until I followed your kind directions. Isn't the whole purpose off Recycle to allow folks to recover files? So why not all? Thanks again. A BIG sigh of relief!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just wonder why this situation exists? You go to Recycle Bin on the Desktop and can view a hundred different files, but not those until I followed your kind directions. Isn't the whole purpose off Recycle to allow folks to recover files? So why not all?

Glad it worked out for you!

I'm not absolutely sure of the rationale behind the $RECYCLE.BIN so I cannot give you an informed answer as to why its done this way, sorry.

Someone else may know more about that.

Ask a Question