Red Start Up Screen

Reaction score
Windows 10 install went fine a couple of wks ago. Computer ok last night. This am it had turned itself off. I rebooted thinking there must have been an automatic windows update. Start up screen is red. I can not access the start menu nor the internet. Need help please

Reaction score
The following steps is to lead you to system restore application.

Turn off computer > turn it back on > when it comes to sign in screen, left click at the Power icon which is at the bottom right corner > one of the options that pop up will be Restart > press SHIFT key and HOLD > click Restart > click Troubleshoot > click Advanced Options > click System Restore.
Click the option to choose another restore point >if you don't have the option to choose, just click Next > bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date that is 2 to 3 days ago , click that date > click Next > follow the prompts from then on...............

When system restore is finished, it will reboot back to your desktop. See if everything is ok .

Reaction score
Thank you. I did as you suggested but after following all the prompts I was told there was no restore point. Windows 10 installed 2wks ago. Computer had just been serviced.

I called the microsoft tech help desk. The tech did not seem to have any experience with the red screen even though when I had googled it it appears to be an issue. Issue seems mostly associated during gaming and the red screen a warning screen in Windows 10 that something is wrong. No kidding!!

Tech did a virus scan on my computer which came up with adware type possible issues most in windows system 32. I removed them but by the time scan done tech had disappeared ? If that was a scam.

Still have same issue. Red screen on start up, start button does not work, I can get into my files but not programs such as office, no internet access nor access to this pc. I have a complete back up for computer on an external drive. Wondering if I should just take Windows 10 off. Computer is HP all in one, 64 bit, which was running windows 7 before.

Any info about others with red screen issues would be appreciated. I am using my phone for this. Thanks

Reaction score
Wondering if I should just take Windows 10 off

Yes. Go back to Win 7.
After you are back to Win 7, set your Windows Update to Manual.
When updates are offered to install, have a look at them first.
Windows Update will soon offer many updates one of which will be KB3035583. When you see it, right click at it, click Hide. Without KB3035583 Windows Update will not offer Windows 10 for install again.

Your Win 7 will still be qualified for a free upgrade until July 28th, 2016 inclusive.
Lots of time before you have to make a decision.

Reaction score
Yes. Go back to Win 7.
After you are back to Win 7, set your Windows Update to Manual.
When updates are offered to install, have a look at them first.
Windows Update will soon offer many updates one of which will be KB3035583. When you see it, right click at it, click Hide. Without KB3035583 Windows Update will not offer Windows 10 for install again.

Your Win 7 will still be qualified for a free upgrade until July 28th, 2016 inclusive.
Lots of time before you have to make a decision.
Thank you

Reaction score
You are welcome.

Last comment............
In Windows 10, there is an option to Go Back to previous build or operating system.
I did not suggest that option because there is no guarantees you would not carry some "baggage" over to Win 7 during the "Going Back " process.
It's better to start fresh. More work, less inherent issues.

Ask a Question