Reg tweaks that work in 1903 are causing endless loop in 1909

Reaction score
I have a lot of registry tweaks that are ran during a clean install. They have worked without issue on Win 10 1903 and previous builds. I was trying to make an unattended iso with Win 1909 using the exact same registry tweak file and when I try a clean installation it gets hung up on “Getting ready” for well over an hour then restarts and comes to the blue “Why did my pc restart” screen.

Now I tried creating a new unattended iso without the registry tweak file and it works just fine again, it’s only when I introduce the registry tweak file that it causes this, but the same registry tweak file does not cause issues in previous Win 10 builds, just 1909.

Is there anyway I can pinpoint which tweak is causing this issue? I have hundreds of tweaks that run during a clean install so it’s impractical to start with 1, then add 1 at a time until I find which one it is.

Reaction score
to be able to help,it might be of value what kind of tweaks you incorporate into the clean install. Everything else would be guessing.

Reaction score
I attached the registry file. It's a collection of tweaks from various sites and forums.

Attachments

• Bulk Changes.txt
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,188
Reaction score
It would have been better to upload that as a text file not a .reg file.

My single registry tweak has survived since the first release of W10. Just turns off the caps lock key

Regedit32

Reaction score
I doubt anyone is going to sift through 100s of tweaks for you.

The logical thing to do, in my view, would be to install the OS first, then manually run your tweak file and the tweaks that fail ought to stick out like sore toe.

Reaction score
My first reaction when I opened it, was what a poor endorsement for Windows 10, if a user found it necessary to tweak so many things.!

As regedi32t knows, except in extreme circumstances, I am a little opposed to registry tweaks anyway. I didn't feel motivated to work through the script, but could see briefly, that most could be done through normal customising settings.
However, that was not the OPs query, and, maybe, if he tries Regedit's suggestion, something could be achieved?
Personally, Perhaps the OP may find some of the teaks have now been incorporated anyway - no idea

Reaction score
i am currently enabling a group of them at a time to see which ones are causing an issue. Most of them work I think I’ve narrowed it down though. I was originally hoping there was some way testing these without having to build a new iso and running an install.

most of the tweaks are to disable Microsoft telemetry and ad services as well as privacy settings.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There are certain telemetry settings that if disabled prevent Microsoft Store and WUSA updates.

You'll see an alert if this occurs asking you to Fix account settings. Clicking the Fix button allows Microsoft to reset the settings for Telemetry to the required standard.

My guess is one or more of your Telemetry tweaks is why the OS image you have made is not working.

As I said in my earlier post, you are best to run your Tweaks after installing Windows.

If you are determined to include the tweaks in your image, then so far as Telemetry goes you'd need to use the GPOs for Telemetry and nothing else.

Reaction score
I would not say useless. But, as i do, keep them handy and should the need arise - then use them!
I can see where the op is heading. If he wants to complete a fresh install with all his favourite customisation , then so be it.
The only arguments I have there is
1. How often do you have the need for a fresh install.
2. With a fresh install, I would prefer to let the dust settle and see what it needs to improve, as I see it.

Ask a Question