Reinstall Windows 10

Reaction score
I had a problem with my Windows 10 installation (upgraded from 8.1 to 10), would not boot after driver updates.. In trying to repair, I corrupted the files and now I have a OS mismatch error when I try to run repair. I upgrades to Windows 10 Pro everything worked OK; then during driver updates I got the Black Screen and tried to repair. . Now when I look at the system properties, it no longer shows Windows 10 but list Windows 7 Ultimate as the OS. Can I reinstall Windows 10 on top of the existing corrupted Windows 10 from an ISO and save the existing Apps and Data? Thank You.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can perform what's known as an in-place upgrade repair install of Windows 10 over top of itself if......
Your system will boot and run. That is to say that, your current install must be somewhat operational in order to do it, you can simply run setup.exe from the installation media, from within your current "running" windows 10 install.

There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

Reaction score
You can perform what's known as an in-place upgrade repair install of Windows 10 over top of itself if......
Your system will boot and run. That is to say that, your current install must be somewhat operational in order to do it, you can simply run setup.exe from the installation media, from within your current "running" windows 10 install.

There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.
Thanks. I have a ISO image but cannot boot into Windows 10 unless I boot with the ISO bootable disc. Can I use the bootable ISO to do the repair. In other words, boot from the ISO CD and go through the install/upgrade as I did before using the ISO CD. Thanks. Thanks!

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope.
If you try to use the upgrade option during the install process when booted from the installation media, it will simply tell you to boot into the OS and perform the upgrade from there.
At least that has been my experience.

Reaction score
Thank you! Does anyone have method to repair my boot issues. Summary. Upgrades to Windows 10 successfully. In the process of updating drivers, non window updates etc on restart got the black screen. Tried to emergency boot and repair without success. Errors found during various attempts to repair: Win 32.exe files not digitally signed; OS mismatch - somehow now when I look at system properties; it shows Windows 7 Ultimate not Windows 10 Pro (must have overwritten Windows 10 file with a Windows 7 file during emergency boot / boot/mbr/ repair.) Any suggestions how I can recover from my XXXX-up or a way to boot into Windows 10 to use the ISO to repair??
Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question