Reinstall With Key

Reaction score
HD died. New HD, have a win ten key, how do i go about reinstalling? I cant find a straightforward dl for this. Thanks... Signed: Tired of frustrating computer stuff after too many years of doing this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF windows 10 had already been installed on that computer then.....
No key should be needed, assuming your installing the same version of Windows 10 (32 or 64 bit).
The computer should re-activate with a "digital license" linked from Microsoft to that hardware and a new hard disk should not cause any problem.
You will need the installation media, so you're going to need a working computer that you can use to download.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Use the tool and follow the section labeled "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC"

Reaction score
Im on the same computer that I originally got win 10 for. only the hd is new. its working just fine. just need to get win 10 back. 8.1 just sucks. It would be great if I could just do the upgrade again without too much tech stuff. Not really my thing

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can.
Just use the link I provided above.
Obtain the ISO, and....
In Windows 8.1, double click the ISO to mount it as a virtual DVD drive and run setup.exe from there and it will perform a normal in-place upgrade.

Reaction score
Revisiting trying to install win 10. failed first time and i just left it. but hate 8.1 so much im trying again. its been spinning now for about 2 hours and its seems to be hung at verification.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are multiple reports of problems with the (or any) "upgrade" hanging.
My first question is, did you acquire the latest ISO of Windows 10 to perform the upgrade?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Did you mount the ISO, thereby creating a virtual drive, to run Setup.exe from there to perform the in-place upgrade?
Have you reduced your computer configuration to the bare minimum....
Wired USB mouse, wired USB keyboard and monitor?
AND made sure to disconnect any other peripherals, including wireless dongles supporting Bluetooth wireless keyboard / mouse, wireless network adapters and any other sundry USB peripherals.
Do you have any third party security suites installed on your Windows 8.1 machine?

Reaction score
Well, its running but im not sure i did this right. wish i was a bit more knowledgeable.

Reaction score
I revisited this project and just kept pushing ahead. ALAS, I discovered why it wasnt working. When the tech installed the new HD and installed win 8.1, he set up AVASt and I never use AVAST. Too many issues. I uninstalled it and installed AVIRA, got it tweaked right and went for Win 10 again. Joy!!! Worked right first pass and Im back in Win 10. Thank GOD cause win 8.1.... just useless and rife with problems. On another note, Ive been using VLC player since BSPlayer dropped off the radar a long while back and just discovered that BS is back and thats good news too.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Congrats.... glad you sorted it out and appreciate you getting back to us and letting us know what you found.
Microsoft actually has a page somewhere that I've seen with recommendations as to what to do before attempting and upgrade or if you're having trouble upgrading.
Very near the top of that list is...... wait for it....... AV software. Which they recommend uninstalling, upgrading and then reinstalling the AV product.

Ask a Question