remains as READ only

Reaction score
Hi there, I cant make a folder to full access. It remains as READ only always, when I try to unmark the square mark. Its like there in all of my files and folders. Do anything special to do to make them full access other than unmarking read only ? Thank You.

Reaction score
Is there a specific folder you are looking at?

The square means, I believe, only applies to files in that folder. Have you found sub folders or files which have a check mark in that option?

Reaction score
It is the default in Windows 8 through Windows 10.

It's used (only) by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special customised folder, As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders. Windows Explorer sees this attribute and then runs the Desktop.ini of that folder to see if any special folder settings.
I am not a programmer, but could think of better, and faster ways to accomplish this, particularly if you are using a large lan. But, That's MS and that is the way of things.
There are ways to change the attribute, but, apart from the small delay that is incurred, it will not get in the way of you work.

Reaction score
thanx all
but all of my folders, even my old folders, everywhere, are read only now and i cant change them
it seems, that is because of a virus!
:((((((((((((((((((((

Reaction score
dear davehc, in video game yes but in other ways no!
because video games need to write. but in media like video & music & pic & some program that they dont need to write there is no problem !

Reaction score
In general, except Games other programs have no problem
However, still have not check all applications

Reaction score
I am certain the Games problem is not associated with the read only attribute.

Ask a Question