Removing Ms Security Essentials After Upgrade To 10

Reaction score
One of my computer club students has a weird problem. He upgraded his computer to 10, and had been running MS Security Essentials with his previous operating system. After the upgrade he was showing both trying to run. I uninstalled SE and all seemed to go ok, but he still has the little green house icon in his notification area on the taskbar. Apparently, some parts of that program are still there - but it is no longer listed in Programs & Features. How can I clean it out for him?

Reaction score
reinstall it then remove it would be my guess.

Nope, tried but a message comes up saying you already have Defender. Oh, and I forgot to mention, he was getting a message when starting up the computer about a problem since both are on there - and still gets it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked Task Manager -> Startup Tab to see if Security Essentials is listed there among the list of items that remained "Enabled"?
Sounds like there are still remnants hanging on.
Something like autoruns https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
Might give a better view of what's starting up automatically.
You may have to adjust the options as it may hide some or most Microsoft entries by default.
OR
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2435760
Might be helpful

Reaction score
Will try that FIX tool. It seems it's like some of the retail AV programs that leave just enough junk behind to make your computer think it is still there.

Reaction score
ok copy the directory folder from another computer with the same OS and defender softwares or the essentials software which ever is missing and just paste it into your pc in the correct directory ensure you have the uninstal software in there then reboot your computer then uninstall the software or leave it whichever you chose.

Reaction score
This is the solution given on Microsoft's pages:
Open File Explorer and see if you can find:
\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\ (If it is not there, ignore the rest of this fix)

Find, in the folder, Setup.exe
Right click on it and choose properties
Click on the Compatibility tab

At the bottom of the tab click 'Change Settings for all users'

In the next window, Tick the box for 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' : Choose Windows 7
Click OK
and again
Click OK

Now,: Right click the start and choose Command Prompt (Admin)

At the prompt, copy/paste (or type) :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\setup.exe /x /disableoslimit

Choose Uninstall

Once this has finished reboot and Microsoft Security Essentials should be deleted, with Defender running normally

Reaction score
MSE can be difficult to uninstall. After much searching and many attempts to remove it, I believe I had to get the instructions to remove MSE from a Microsoft website.
Hopefully davehc has the solution you are looking for.

Reaction score
davehc:
THANKS for the post - it worked for me (after weeks of frustration) to finally get rid of MSE after upgrade to Windows 10 so that Defender will run.

Reaction score

Ask a Question