renaming photos and transferring photos to another folder

Reaction score
Until yesterday I was able to rename photos and transfer them to a different folder. Today Windows 10 will not allow me to do this. Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Reaction score
I need to ask questions. Some people hate getting questions to their questions, but sometimes it is necessary in order to under the whole picture...............

1. Did you get an error message when you failed to rename or transfer ?
2. What method did you usually use ? Drag and Drop ?
3. Do you have Copy To and Move To context menu options enabled ?
4. Where did you want to transfer the items ?

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
1. The message 'Invalid MS-DOS function' is shown
2. I use Drag and Drop
3. Under 'File' only New Folder is enabled
4. I am trying to transfer photos from one folder into another

Reaction score
I don't have answer to 'Invalid MS-DOS function'.
There are many websites posting the same error message, but none seems to have the solution. Some replies were marked as answers but if it was not marked by the person who asked the question, it is not a real answer. There are many shady businesses in forums where people get points for having their replies marked as answers.

As to Copy To and Move To context menu options, you can install it easily with this tutorial.
I use it to install and reinstall numerous times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/516-context-menu-add-copy-folder-move-folder.html

It is applicable to Windows 10 as I use that in Windows 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.
Use Option One..... easiest.

How to use Copy To and Move To............
After they are installed, all you need to do is RIGHT click at the folder or file > click Copy To or Move To > navigate to the location you want > click Copy or Move.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Until yesterday I was able to

Do a system restore. Pick a date that is before your "yesterday" as the restore point.

In case you are not sure how to do system restore :
At the search box next to Start button, type system restore > at the popup box, click Create a restore point > under System Restore heading, click System Restore > wait for it to load > click the option to choose another restore point >if you don't have the option to choose another restore point, just click Next > bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date when you did not have this problem, click that date > click Next > follow the prompts from then on...............

Last edited:
Reaction score
I need to ask questions. Some people hate getting questions to their questions, but sometimes it is necessary in order to under the whole picture...............

1. Did you get an error message when you failed to rename or transfer ?
2. What method did you usually use ? Drag and Drop ?
3. Do you have Copy To and Move To context menu options enabled ?
4. Where did you want to transfer the items ?
Do a system restore. Pick a date that is before your "yesterday" as the restore point.

In case you are not sure how to do system restore :
At the search box next to Start button, type system restore > at the popup box, click Create a restore point > under System Restore heading, click System Restore > wait for it to load > click the option to choose another restore point >if you don't have the option to choose another restore point, just click Next > bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date when you did not have this problem, click that date > click Next > follow the prompts from then on...............

This sounded like a good idea David and a real answer to the problem which began after Windows had upgraded on Wed am BUT I could not find a window allowing me to choose a previous date. I put in a date as the 'restore point' and a window came up saying that it was successful but still no luck with renaming and moving my photos!! The restore date was still todays! I cannot find how to Restore from a previous date. Any ideas on this?

I don't have answer to 'Invalid MS-DOS function'.
There are many websites posting the same error message, but none seems to have the solution. Some replies were marked as answers but if it was not marked by the person who asked the question, it is not a real answer. There are many shady businesses in forums where people get points for having their replies marked as answers.

As to Copy To and Move To context menu options, you can install it easily with this tutorial.
I use it to install and reinstall numerous times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/516-context-menu-add-copy-folder-move-folder.html

It is applicable to Windows 10 as I use that in Windows 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.
Use Option One..... easiest.

How to use Copy To and Move To............
After they are installed, all you need to do is RIGHT click at the folder or file > click Copy To or Move To > navigate to the location you want > click Copy or Move.

Reaction score
The restore date was still todays! I cannot find how to Restore from a previous date. Any ideas on this?

part of my system restore instructions was........................
> bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date when you did not have this problem, click that date >

Did you follow that step ? ?

Restore points.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
part of my system restore instructions was........................
> bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date when you did not have this problem, click that date >

Did you follow that step ? ?

View attachment 1370
I know that this way forward is going to work eventually BUT
No options given for either 'NEXT' or 'show more restore points' . In fact NO other options shown on the restore window!

Reaction score
Aby chance you have a small screen computer ?
Is there a scroll bar at far right that you can scroll up or down ?

Reaction score
Aby chance you have a small screen computer ?
Is there a scroll bar at far right that you can scroll up or down ?

I only have my lap top! No scroll bar! I can only find the existing restore points which are both for the 22nd!! but nowhere to create a restore before the 22nd. Thanks for continuing to try to solve my problem. There must be a solution. Is there such a site as 'History' that I could scroll back on? I am certain that it was the update that caused all the trouble.

Reaction score
I only have my lap top! No scroll bar! I can only find the existing restore points which are both for the 22nd!! but nowhere to create a restore before the 22nd. Thanks for continuing to try to solve my problem. There must be a solution. Is there such a site as 'History' that I could scroll back on? I am certain that it was the update that caused all the trouble.

I have now found out that it is not possible to revert to an earlier date on Windows 10. This can be done only on Windows 7. I will get back to you on Monday when I hope to have some info on how to delete the bothersome Update!! Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
I have now found out that it is not possible to revert to an earlier date on Windows 10. This can be done only on Windows 7. I will get back to you on Monday when I hope to have some info on how to delete the bothersome Update!! Thanks again for your help.

Sat AM! I have not solved the original problem but I have managed to move and rename my photos!
1 Select photo/photos to be moved.
2 Click on 'Copy to' at top of window.
3 Choose folder to copy to from list

Once copied the renaming facility works as normal!!

I will still get back to you on Monday if I have found a solution to the original problem.

Reaction score
Sat AM! I have not solved the original problem but I have managed to move and rename my photos!
1 Select photo/photos to be moved.
2 Click on 'Copy to' at top of window.
3 Choose folder to copy to from list

Once copied the renaming facility works as normal!!

I will still get back to you on Monday if I have found a solution to the original problem.

Saturday! I seem to have solved my problem! I ran C-Cleaner!! and, magic, now I am able to rename and drag and drop as normal! Who would have thought it!! Thanks again David for all you suggestions. even if they did not solve my problem I am a bit wiser about Restore Points!!

Ask a Question