Repair Install - Unsupported Directory

Reaction score
I apologize - I believe I've confused my issue with my previous posts. However, I've also managed to clean things up a bit:

I'm trying to perform a "Repair Install" on my Windows 10 installation - which has the Anniversary update installed. I used the Windows 10 media creation tool to place my installation files on a flash drive. When attempting the repair installation, I am stopped by the following Microsoft message: "You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory." This is supposed to be a "Repair Install" so I obviously don't want to lose anything. Below is the screenshot of my Disk Management as it is now. Can anyone help please?

Disk Management 07.05.2017.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps
Are you absolutely certain that the ISO that you used to build your installation media matches exactly the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer.

Sometimes we see this when someone is inadvertently using the wrong installation media.
32bit on a 64 bit machine or 64 bit on a 32bit machine
OR
They've acquired the Single Language version which is not installed on their machine or they actually need the Single Language version as that is what is installed on their machine.
OR
Sometimes it could just be a problem with the ISO, in which case you might try stepping through the process again from the beginning. Re-download the ISO and rebuild your installation media to perform the upgrade or simply double click the ISO to mount it and run the setup.exe program from within the mounted (virtual) optical drive. Since you are attempting an in-place upgrade / repair, that would probably be the easiest and take one of the steps out of the equation.

Whatever you decide to do, please make sure that all your critical data is backed up somewhere safe and maybe consider creating a disk image of the hard disk to be extra safe.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Thank you. How do I make sure what version of W10 Pro I have installed. Yes, I want to be certain. Also, I do have an image of my drive taken yesterday - so I'm covered.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Probably the easiest if not the simplest way would be to go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
click the "Download tool now" button
Save it and run it later or else just click run if offered that option.
Click "Accept"

toolone.PNG

Tick the radio button that says "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO for another PC

tooltwo.PNG

Check the box that says "Use the recommended options for this PC"

toolthree.PNG

Tick the radio button that says "ISO file"

toolfour.PNG

Then just pick a location to save it to (new folder in your downloads directory called "LatestISO" or something else clever)
When it's done and depending on your internet bandwidth it can take a while.....
Just double click it to mount it and then run setup.exe from there, to perform the in-place upgrade repair.

Assuming you do all this on the problem computer it should work as advertised.
Failing that you may have to investigate further.
The fact that this machine was at one time in a dual boot scenario may have caused an issue with the BCD store (Boot Configuration Data) or maybe something else.
I know Microsoft warns of problems with upgrades if the "Profile folder(s)" have been moved to another location other than their default of C:\Users

Reaction score
...How do I make sure what version of W10 Pro I have installed....
Action Center --- All Settings --- System --- About

Why do you want to perform a repair install?

You're getting this message: " You can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory" because all your programs are installed on the D-drive.

http://errorfixer.co/windows-10-installed-unsupported-directory/

Last edited:

Ask a Question