SOLVED Repeating updates

Reaction score
My Windows 10 keeps updating Logitech webcam 500 constantly, sometimes more than once a day.
how do I prevent this happening?
Thanks for your help.
upload_2017-2-28_14-23-0.png

Reaction score
Regedit32 may have something in mind, but I would try uninstalling the device and check the box to uninstall all drivers. Maybe that would reset the database and stop the additional installs.

Reaction score
Regedit32 may have something in mind, but I would try uninstalling the device and check the box to uninstall all drivers. Maybe that would reset the database and stop the additional installs.
What do you mean - "uninstall ALL drivers?

Reaction score
I have the same problem on an old Acer, with the logitech Touchpad. Downloads a new update every day.- Same one.

It is an old machine which I use as a testbed, so it doesn't present me with a problem. I sought help everywhere, without success, so I just live with it.
Uninstalling the driver and starting fresh did not cure the problem,

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
One - age of PC not important. My Webcam 500 driver reported installed and up to date - old as it is and working fine.
3d party Driver Booster updater says the same thing as the Windows Device manager - so downloading all bunch of other software just to be conned into paying for fake results is not my option.
This is a Windows 10 updater BUG that has to be fixed by Microsoft.
The Updater is outdated - not sure what criteria it has to look for newer driver version - but in fact it does dfind and downloads maybe a tad newer, but still obsolete drivers.
The old, original drivers still work perfect as it is the hardware so why even insist of updating it??

Problem - the drivers are reported Successfully downloaded and installed in the update history but do not appear in the Installed updates. ????
After the installed update next the Updater comes up with Error 0x80248007 - WU_E_DS_NODATA The information requested is not in the data store.
Microsoft WAKE UP!! and fic ths updater BUG.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

It's not a bug in Windows 10 you are dealing with.

There are settings to prevent this occurring in the first place which apparently you are not aware of.
  • Press your Windows key and Pause key together to open your System window
  • On left pane of this window click Advanced System Settings

Sample image

device1.png

• Clicking the Advanced system settings will take you to a new System Properties window. Select the Hardware tab then click on Device Installation Settings button.

Sample image

device2.png

• After clicking the Device Installation Settings button you'll be taken to the Device Installation Settings window. Here select No then click the Save Changes button. When this window closes click OK on the previous window then finally close the System window.

Sample image

device3.png

If you were familiar with Windows 7 you'll see this window looks a lot different to its previous version where it was more clearly laid out with a clear option to prevent driver installations; so granted its a little more confusing now.

Now in some instances even the above for some has proven a little problematic. In that case you can take the more drastic action of modifying the Registry; something which Windows 10 Professional and Enterprise users can easily do using their Group Policy Editor; but Home uses need to do it manually themselves.
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control alert appears click Yes
  • In the Command Prompt: Administrator console that opens type or copy and paste the following:

Code:
    REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Press Enter key to execute

You'll then be prompted to confirm overwriting the value which all ready exists. Type Y then press Enter key

You will now see confirmation the operation completed successfully.

You can now close the console window.

Sample image

device4.png

Note: If you later wish to allow Windows to update drivers then re-open the Command Prompt: Administrator console and enter the following code:

Code:
REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Press Enter key to execute then type Y to confirm overwriting the existing value.

While the value is set on 0, you can manually download and install drivers at any time.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sorry. Great respect for your post, regedit, but (this is not my post), that is one of the first things I adjust on a new install n- doesn't work , for me, with this particular problem.

Tonyh. "This is a Windows 10 updater BUG that has to be fixed by Microsoft"
Absolutely.
"The Updater is outdated - not sure what criteria it has to look for newer driver version - but in fact it does find and downloads maybe a tad newer, but still obsolete drivers.
The old, original drivers still work perfect as it is the hardware so why even insist of updating it??

Problem - the drivers are reported Successfully downloaded and installed in the update history but do not appear in the Installed updates"
Yes. But I find it hard to believe that there is, in my case, a newer driver every day for such a simple device.

Opinion: The repeated driver downloads will probably not show in the installed updates, as they are overwriting each other??

Regedit32

Reaction score
No worries davehc,

I've not seen this issue on my end using Windows 10 Home.

I know in certain circumstances Microsoft will download an existing update, but not install it given the update all ready exists on the System. That may be what is occurring for Tony.

Unfortunately the idea of blocking updates comes with a caveat - an expiration on how long one can hide one.

For me the settings above seem to work fine, so perhaps in this case it would be worth checking the webcam manufacturer site to see if there are any troubleshooting tips there.

Enterprise and Professional users can use the Group Policy Editor to block hardware driver updates by device ID, but so far as I am aware that is not an option for a Home user, although theoretically it may be plausible to modify the Registry for that - I have not taken a look at it given the issue has never arisen my end.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. As I stated, I exhausted every possible "fix" for the problem. As it was an old machine, it was more for curiosity than desire.
I will be trying out the latest builds shortly, on the same computer, so it may go away.
However, I am digressing from the OP's problem!!

Reaction score
No worries davehc,

I've not seen this issue on my end using Windows 10 Home.

I know in certain circumstances Microsoft will download an existing update, but not install it given the update all ready exists on the System. That may be what is occurring for Tony.

Unfortunately the idea of blocking updates comes with a caveat - an expiration on how long one can hide one.

For me the settings above seem to work fine, so perhaps in this case it would be worth checking the webcam manufacturer site to see if there are any troubleshooting tips there.

Enterprise and Professional users can use the Group Policy Editor to block hardware driver updates by device ID, but so far as I am aware that is not an option for a Home user, although theoretically it may be plausible to modify the Registry for that - I have not taken a look at it given the issue has never arisen my end.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you for this excellent tip - a right and good help. Much appreciate it.
I had no idea about this shortcut. and owuld have been unable to get there any other way.
I do have IO Bit Driver Booster that notifies me of drivers out of date - then I do try to get new ones from manufacturers
without the 3d party sneaking ADD ons onto my computer.
also this prevents these driver updaters to install newer, but wrong generic drivers.
again, thanks for your help.
Tony

Already done.

Ask a Question