Reset Windows 10

Reaction score
I just went thru reset this PC in which I expected to lose all settings and programs not included in original state. That's not what happened at all. My total desktop and settings are retained and windows 10 is back to where it was after initial upgrade. Classic Shell start menu is gone and I may not replace it. I sort of forgot what 10 really looked like without modification. I'm going to leave it as is for a while. The process took quite a while but I am pleasantly surprised with the results.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Always good to hear that something actually worked as expected (or in your case better than expected).
There are for sure, a boatload of people out there who wish they had your luck ( or good fortune).
Thanks for the info....
We seldom hear when things actually work.

Reaction score
Always good to hear that something actually worked as expected (or in your case better than expected).
There are for sure, a boatload of people out there who wish they had your luck ( or good fortune).
Thanks for the info....
We seldom hear when things actually work.
Oops! There's a bit more to this. Recently I panicked and ran a system image when I discovered I only had 4 programs in programs and features. That brought everything back and I thought I had just avoided a catastrophe. Right now I have 2 items showing in programs plus 1 I just downloaded. But now I have a different idea- if that's what a reset of 10 gave me i'm going to try to live with it. I'll post about what happens.
Edit: There is now an icon on my desktop called removed apps. It is actually a list of what was in programs. Also several apps including webcam were inoperable and are now restored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I just went thru reset this PC in which I expected to lose all settings and programs not included in original state. That's not what happened at all. My total desktop and settings are retained and windows 10 is back to where it was after initial upgrade. Classic Shell start menu is gone and I may not replace it. I sort of forgot what 10 really looked like without modification. I'm going to leave it as is for a while. The process took quite a while but I am pleasantly surprised with the results.

Reaction score
This was a new Dell that I purchased with 8.1 on it. I upgraded to 10 shortly after the "GWX' icon that everybody hated appeared. Somewhere along the line I had it booting to desktop and later installed Classic Shell start menu so it looked more like 7 than 10. This reset to original 10 is now so interesting to me that i'll leave it alone for a while.
Edit: As a bonus the deletion of my password by running netplwiz was maintained.

Reaction score
Update: Remember I was concerned about only a few items in programs? Now Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable shows up as 4 separate line items. Beats me how they got there.

Reaction score
New
I just went through a nightmare trying to delete password entry. There's a new wrinkle to running netplwix. If the user must enter box is NOT checked when you open the window the apply box will be grayed out so you can't bring up the enter and confirm box. I had to CHECK the box get out go back to run and re-enter netplwiz CLEAR the user box to get the apply button. Checking apply opens the enter and confirm box and when you leave you can reset without a password. Simple huh? The minions at MS couldn't make it any easier.
This nightmare started when a notice popped up that I needed to "verify my identity" BEWARE THIS NOTICE. I got all involved in password change functions I've never seen before including a wizard asking me which disk a reset was on. At one point I seriously wondered if I was going to get back in. I've seen posts by others who have gotten locked out. That was as close as I want to get.
As mentioned before i'm a believer in system image and restore points. Since resetting 10 I've been doing lots of both.

Reaction score
Just discovered something important. That notice I said to beware of popped up again. What to do? Go to control panel security and maintenance and look for "turn off messages about Microsoft accounts".
The intent of this thread is to give a running account of what is encountered after a reset of windows 10. Some pleasant surprises and some unexpected difficulties.

Reaction score
Here's the latest and possibly last commentary (aren't you relieved?) about what you run into after reset this PC on windows 10. The last efforts were looking at videos (remember I had difficulty re-establishing them) on you tube. I learned some helpful things about the start menu like turning off start full screen and choose which folders appear on start. The left column of my start menu now looks a lot better. I read several critiques of windows 10 and it all boils down to personal preference. What appeals to me is what matters. My dalliance with Classic Shell is over and though I'm still not thrilled with tiles i'll live with them. The only truly remarkable event was my unfortunate experience with "you need to verify your identity". That was a real bummer. As an advocate of system images and restore points I have more confidence than ever in them. All's well that ends well.
P.S. This post was done on my windows 7 holdover laptop. I'm not about to give that up.

Reaction score
WARNING! I just did a "reset to factory condition" on my windows 7 laptop. I am now looking at a message "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 185".

Ask a Question