SOLVED Restarting

Reaction score
W10 Home
Computer taking an inordinant amount of time to reset in the morning after closing down at night.
From "sleep" (overnight spell) to wakeup next day (hit enter) it takes more than 5 minutes to show the desktop.
From "restart" to desktop, 3mins 15secs -

settings now are:-choose what the power buttons do then click - heading, define power buttons and turn on password protection - change settings that are currently unavailable - power button/shut down - sleep button/hibernate. "down," no password. "down," tick fast startup and hibernate - save changes - back to choose a power plan with "balanced"(recommended) hilighted.
must be some settings that can get a faster restart
can someone help with this please?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Maurylen,

What graphics cards and/or chipsets are installed on your computer?
  • Right-click on Start > left-click on Device Manager
  • Expand your Display Adapters
    • What is listed there?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you right-clicked that basic display driver and checked for updates?

• Also, if you right-click Start > select Run
  • Then type msinfo32 and click OK
  • Then in left pane of window that opens click Components > Display

Does this give you more information about the type of graphics card you actually have in there?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go back into Device Manager, expand Display adapters
Select then right click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and choose properties
Select the Details tab
Change the property drop down arrow to Hardware Ids
Select the right click the first line of the "Value" box and choose copy
Paste that info from the clipboard into your next post.
Should look something like this

HardwareIds.JPG

Reaction score
this Regedit - Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date
this Trouble - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D6&SUBSYS_03D61849&REV_A2
"hope this is correct, I'm getting into the unknown or whatever"

Regedit32

Reaction score
That information you got suggests your system is quite likely using NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a

You ought to be able to download the latest drivers for that from Nvidia site, albeit there are no Windows 10 drivers yet, however even the older ones would in my opinion be better than the generic microsoft one currently being used.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

The things though you need to confirm are:
  • Are you using Windows 10 Home 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • Is this a pc or notebook? What model and brand of computer are you using?

Reaction score
Whatever Display Adapter it is, Windows Update should have replaced it by now. Do you know for sure your updates are working? Have you tried doing a manual check for updates?

The Hardware ID seems to point to a nForce device. I think that is a chipset but maybe Regedit32 knows.

The fact it takes so long to boot may mean the system is looking for something. If it is going online in may be having problems when doing so.

Reaction score
W10 64-bit - desktop PC
Model & Brand??? -- Generic Non-PnP Monitor -- Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Updates working? no idea
Manual check? how?
opened NVIDIA site, NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a from Nvidia .com

Reaction score
NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Product Current
Installed Driver Recommended
Update
GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a -- Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

Regedit32

Reaction score
GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a -- Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

Your pc may have the latest nVidia drivers installed, but your system is not using them given you told us Device Manager is saying its using generic Microsoft drivers.

If indeed the latest are installed then:
  • Right-click on Start > select Device Manager
  • Expand your Display Adapters
  • Right-click on the one listed and select Update Driver Software
  • On the splash screen that opens click Browse my computer for driver software
  • On the next splash screen click Let me select from a list of device drivers on my computer
  • Select the most recent nVidia driver then click Next

If there is no choice listed for nVidia then download from the website as all ready posted earlier.
Follow the prompts and close out of Device Manager when done and shutdown computer. Restart once it has fully shutdown.

Return to Device Manager where after expanding Display Adapters you ought to see listed your nVidia.

Assuming its there the next thing to let us know is whether or not this improves your current issue, or whether your slow boot up or slow wake up from sleep issue is continuing.

Reaction score
same result in display adapters, but the downloaded file is sitting on the desktop. I suppose I could send it to its correct folder but which one - still very slow from restart

Reaction score
Manual check? how?
Go to Settings-Update and Security. Click the Check for updates button and let us know what happens.

If your updates seem to be working normally, Regedit32 gave instructions as to how to update using the Device Manger. Since we still don't know your computer model, they normally have an Intel or Nvidia or AMD video adapter. In some situations they have more than one. But the Microsoft Basic Display drivers are used only when the correct ones are not accessible for whatever reason.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you ran the file you downloaded?

I assume that is the driver installation I suggested earlier?

I'm not experiencing slow boots or slow wake ups, but I know when Windows was waiting for me to confirm a beta update for my own Graphics Drivers and sound card drivers, my system crawled to a snail pace and left clicking Start or Search was a waste of time as both were locked up.

After confirming to download and install the updated drivers, my system returned to normal with Start and Search both functioning properly.

For some reason Windows 10 does not like playing nice when Graphic or Audio drivers are pending updates.

As Saltgrass suggested your slow boots may be because Windows is waiting for you to confirm something, or the System is trying to go online to check for updates. This could be am OEM product checking manufacturer site for updates for example. Alternatively, it could be the Windows Update Service attempting to continue a download that may be stalled in your system for some reason. Two factors come into play at that point:
  • Does it require User confirmation before continuing to download?
  • Has your router fully booted and connected to your ISP, because if not Windows will just hang unable to get online as its booting to do the checks.

Personally, to avoid that second case scenario, I always turn on router first, leave it a minute before booting my pc to ensure I have internet access should Windows need to update anything.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you are sure your graphics display is fine and not the problem, then you want to right-click on Start > select Task Manager > Startup tab

Something else starting up as your System awakens or is booting from a shutdown state may be the cause of a slow boot. The common culprit in that scenario is a Security program doing a virus scan as system boots.

Also, as before that Security application might also be attempting to update its definition list before scanning the System.

At some point when you get round to letting the forum know what your computer system actually is (i.e. a pc or notebook, and what model it is and brand name etcetera) you might as well also let us know what Startups are listed in that Startup tab.

As a means of testing whether something in the Startup is causing the slow boots you could set your system to boot with some of those items disabled to see whether you notice any improvement. Good way to figure out what is causing the trouble - from there you can decide whether to keep or remove that startup item, and if keeping it see if there is an update you can get to fix its issue.

Reaction score
At some point when you get round to letting the forum know what your computer system actually is (i.e. a pc or notebook, and what model it is and brand name etcetera) you might as well also let us know what Startups are listed in that Startup tab
pc - viewsonic - VA1926w - that okay?
I disabled a few others for this reason - not many enabled - getting to the point of "what next" I suppose. Got to give you guys credit, you persevere. Wish I had a bit more knowledge but there's so much to learn. Sympathy to a builder!!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 700

Regedit32

Reaction score
Everything in your startup seems relatively normal. I've not used Avast myself so I have no idea whether it has a pay load during startup. My guess though is that during a System idle time it would be silently scanning for infections; so I imagine it would do this if your System is in sleep/hybernate mode. Whether that could cause your symptoms is unclear, but I would not recommend disabling it unless you intending on uninstalling it to install something else for security.

If you right-click on Start > and select Command Prompt you could query the Run and Runonce keys in your registry for current user just to make sure no malware has snuck in and is automatically running on startup.

Within the command prompt window you'd enter two separate commands and press Enter key to execute:
  • Code:
    reg query "hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run"
  • Code:
    reg query "hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runonce"

Each of those is a separate command you enter in the Command Prompt window. Press Enter key to execute. If the keys are empty you will be returned to that prompt. If something is contained in either folder it will be listed, in which case let the forum know what is listed.

Ask a Question