SOLVED Right-click context menu appears automatically. Laptop becomes useless

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 pre-installed on my Compaq Presario Laptop. I face a very severe problem since last two days. The right click context menu appears automatically after boot up. Whenever I move the mouse over any desktop icon OR around on the search area (IE, Chrome, or any other browser), the right click context menu instantly appears without clicking. Because of this problem, I am not able to type anything in any of the MS application. This problem happens with both the touchpad and USB mouse. It is also noticed that when I move my pointer on the Taskbar, the right click taskbar context menu appearing. After searching the internet for hours, I am unable to find a solution. Even though I reset the laptop, the same problem still persists. Any idea why this is happening and how to stop?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 8.42.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 8.42.53 PM.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,037
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 8.43.20 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-02-25 at 8.43.20 PM.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 791

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The problem might be related to a sticky key or a key that is malfunctioning on your keyboard.
Most keyboards have a "menu key" or sometimes two. Usually located near the bottom right of the keyboard, to the right of the spacebar, often adjacent to the right bottom "Ctrl" key. It has a funny looking icon image on it that is meant to represent the context menu.
You might try tapping that when the problem is present and see if that clears and evokes the menu appearing.
Generally tapping it once with bring up the menu and using the "Esc" key will dismiss it.

Reaction score
Yes it is because of the "menu key". Whenever the problem happens, I have to hit on that "menu key" then the problem will be solved temporarily. But when I re-start the lap, again the same problem is occurred. Again I have to hit on "menu key". Is it to possible to disable that particular key?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it to possible to disable that particular key?
Not that I am aware of, IF...
The key is sticking or otherwise damaged in some fashion.

I suppose it's possible, that..
IF the keyboard is not damaged, then a driver from the manufacturer might help, if one exists.

Otherwise, a replacement keyboard would be the likely solution.
Which is not generally an easy fix for a typical user and may require professional attention.

Ask a Question