Right Click music icon in This PC, File Explorer not responding

Ty_

Reaction score
Hello, I am running an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, win 10 Home ver 1607, completely up to date. Win 10 and all other programs reside on an internal SSD, C:, My data, music, video etc. files reside on an internal HDD, “D”. Neither drives are even 50% full.
When I go into file explorer and right click on the Music icon in “This PC,” I get “File explorer not responding." This only happens on the Music Icon, nowhere else. It happens 100% of the time. The Music icon points to D:\Music. I can get to that folder any other way except under “This PC.”
I have used Shellexview and shut off everything not Microsoft with no help. I ran the SFC command several times, no problems found. I formatted my ‘D’ drive, no help. Extensive research found no one else with this specific problem. Almost all similar problems seem to be resolved by finding a bad shell extension. Not mine.
My next attempt will be to formatting my “c” drive and reinstalling all programs but I wanted to check here as a last resort.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
A couple things to try.
Try Safe Mode and then try Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem persists.
Try a Clean Boot and see if the problem persists. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Try creating a new local user as a member of the local Administrators Group and see if the problem persists.

Ty_

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
A couple things to try.
Try Safe Mode and then try Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem persists.
Try a Clean Boot and see if the problem persists. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Try creating a new local user as a member of the local Administrators Group and see if the problem persists.
Thank you so much for responding to my problem. I tried everything you mentioned.

The problem did not change when I went into Safe Mode and Safe mode with Networking
The problem did not change when I did a clean boot.
When I created a new admin user, the problem did go away. But....
The default location for the music folder on the new account was my "C" drive, which was to be expected. I went into Settings and changed it to my "D" drive, just as I did with my main account. The changes saved but nothing happened. If I save something, it goes to the "C" drive even though the settings show it should be "D".

When I went into properties, it still showed the files going to the "C" drive. I know I can go into properties and change the file locations but I did not do it pending your advice for a next move. I didn't want to mess anything up. Should I go ahead and change the file paths in properties? Thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sure ..... why not. It's a temporary account for testing purposes.
Go to
C:\Users\NewUserName
Right click the Music Folder and choose properties
Use the location tab and the move button to relocate it.
I typically create the data structure on the other drive first so I would already have a D:\Users\NewUserName\ to move it to

Ty_

Reaction score
OK, I changed the defaults the way you described and everything is working perfectly. If I had to, I could just switch to this account. Do you have any idea what might be wrong or anything else I can check?

Thanks again for taking time to help me out!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what might be wrong or anything else I can check?
No, sorry.... not really.
I know that, in the past there were some explorer issue regarding certain types of files contained in some folders (as I recall, picture / image / video types) when displaying thumbnails rather than icons only. It had something to do with previewing certain file types ( .mkv I think was one) but I thought that had been addressed and fixed, and I don't recall any "music" files associated with that particular issue.

As far as "anything else".....
It's likely something in the registry, probably HKeyCurrentUser, and.....
Depending on how long this has been happening, you might want to try a System Restore, to a point in time prior to the first occurrence.
System Restore is generally pretty good at addressing problems with the Registry.

Ty_

Reaction score
No, sorry.... not really.
I know that, in the past there were some explorer issue regarding certain types of files contained in some folders (as I recall, picture / image / video types) when displaying thumbnails rather than icons only. It had something to do with previewing certain file types ( .mkv I think was one) but I thought that had been addressed and fixed, and I don't recall any "music" files associated with that particular issue.

As far as "anything else".....
It's likely something in the registry, probably HKeyCurrentUser, and.....
Depending on how long this has been happening, you might want to try a System Restore, to a point in time prior to the first occurrence.
System Restore is generally pretty good at addressing problems with the Registry.
System restore doesn't go back far enough. It's such a minor problem. I guess I may look into the registry. I'll do some research first. Thanks again for taking the time to try to help me. You did find a way that I can use it... .with the new account. Thanks!

Ask a Question