Right click on Windows Icon not working

Reaction score
Hi Team I seem to have lost the ability to right click on the Windows Icon to select Windows system shortcuts. i.e Command prompt etc. I can left click OK and then scroll down but I liked the facility to right click and get the system shortcuts.
I think it has occured since a recent upgrade. Not sure though.

Can you advise please.

Michael.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
ON your keyboard, hold the Windows logo key (bottom left) and strike the x key at the same time.
That should launch the same menu.
Does that still work??

Reaction score
I read somehere on this forum about that and no it doesn't launch the menu. Just to say that every where else the right click works all other folders. It is just the Windows logo which is not working. I have a laptop and that is working fine since a recent update so my theory from my previous post doesn't stand.

btw. Can I ask what a "Noob Whisperer" means on your label? Not familiar with that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I read somehere on this forum about that and no it doesn't launch the menu
The consensus seems to be that, when this problem occurs that there is corruption in the following folder.
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
Chances are that removing Group1, Group2 and Group3 from that folder
AND
Then copying Group1, Group2 and Group3 from
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
AND
Then pasting them into
Will fix your problem.

You will need to restart Windows Explorer using task manager or simply reboot your computer to see if in-fact it does fix your issue.

btw. Can I ask what a "Noob Whisperer" means on your label? Not familiar with that.
Have you ever heard of a Horse Whisperer (Movie) or a Dog Whisperer (Ceasar Milan).
Have you ever heard of a "Noob" or "Noobie". Generally it refers to someone new at something. In this case Computers, Technology, or more specifically Windows 10.

Generally I take it to mean, or at least intended it to mean.... Someone who works to help folks with Windows 10 or computers in general. :)

Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that, when this problem occurs that there is corruption in the following folder.
Chances are that removing Group1, Group2 and Group3 from that folder
AND
Then copying Group1, Group2 and Group3 from
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
AND
Then pasting them into
Will fix your problem.

You will need to restart Windows Explorer using task manager or simply reboot your computer to see if in-fact it does fix your issue.

Have you ever heard of a Horse Whisperer (Movie) or a Dog Whisperer (Ceasar Milan).
Have you ever heard of a "Noob" or "Noobie". Generally it refers to someone new at something. In this case Computers, Technology, or more specifically Windows 10.

Generally I take it to mean, or at least intended it to mean.... Someone who works to help folks with Windows 10 or computers in general. :)

Reaction score
I do appreciate you taking time out help me so saying to you that didn't work is not a put down from me.
But that didn't work. Sorry.
Although I am not a "newbie" to computers, had several for nearly 20 years. But that said I don't think you can ever say you know everything and I don't. Always willing to listen to others.
Before contacting this forum I did a bit of Googling and it could be something to do with "Powershell"??
As I said I am no expert on technical issues so over to you Trouble. :)

Regards Michael.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow.... I just did it on my computer. Deleted them (restarted explorer, which broke my right click and logo key + x) and replaced them from those found in the default users profile folder and restarted explorer and it worked fine, so I'm disappointed to say the least.

IF you're willing to test further, you might try creating a new user as a member of the administrators group and see if that new user has the same problem.
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Reaction score
Hi trouble, Listen, I am not really prepared to do what you are asking. I have learnt over the years messing with the system, trying this or that never seems to work. I will be straight with you I don't mind making changes if it fixes the problem but unless there is a definite fix, I will leave things as they are. It is not a big problem I can still get to these shortcuts through the control panel.

Many thanks for your help and a Merry Christmas to you.

Regards, Michael.

Ask a Question