Roboform and Edge

Would you like Edge to allow Password Managers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sue

Reaction score
I use Edge all the time, I have been waiting, hoping, it will allow use of my password manager 'roboform' at some stage. Is this going to become a possibility any time soon?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

You don't need a third party password manager for Edge as the browser comes with its own Password Manager built in to it.

When you open Edge:
  1. In top right corner click the . . .
  2. In Context Menu that appears click Settings
  3. Scroll down and click View advanced settings
  4. Scroll down and turn on the Offer to save passwords
  5. Click Manage my saved passwords

Sample Image

Untitled.png

Sue

Reaction score
Thank you, I feel silly now, as this is something I knew nothing of. Will this offer the same level of security that a password manager does?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've never personally managed passwords, and to be honest am not a fan of saving them within browsers either, so I really cannot say one is more safe than the other.

Perhaps others in the Forum community will have a more informed opinion to your question.

T_J

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32. I turned the save password feature request OFF. I don't want anything saving my bank login password or my Amazon, eBay, etc. I always clicked no, but didn't know how to turn off the request until reading this thread.

Reaction score
I also don't like my passwords saved in Browsers. I freely admit to being bad about this. I am a believer in simple passwords until all these banks and so on started insisting on upper and lower case, numbers, punctuation characters and the worst... not allowing words they can find in a dictionary. ( It is fortunate that they use a very small dictionary)

Reaction score
I'm paranoid about on line security. I have never saved a password yet; I don't do on line banking and as far as on line purchases I have a TD Visa with a $1,000 limit.

Sue

Reaction score
I use RoboForm2Go which Stores Logins on a USB Flash Drive, and attaches to browsers from outside. I find it useful but it doesn’t work with Edge. It worked very well with IE but since the Windows 10 upgrade IE takes an age to load and is as good as useless.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

I did a little research into your RoboForm Password Manager and discovered you can download a new RoboForm app extension for Microsoft's Edge Browser,

To do this:
  • Open your Edge Browser then click the . . . in the top right corner
  • In the context menu that appears click on Extensions
  • Next click on Get extensions from the Store
  • When the Store opens type RoboForm in the search field and select RoboForm app
  • You can can choose to download and install it.

For more details about this here is the webpage I unearthed that spoke of this:

http://bestedgeextensions.com/roboform-extension-edge-browser/

Regards,

Regedit32

Sue

Reaction score
Thank you for your efforts Regedit32, I've found the RoboForm App but it's telling me its not compatible with my system, it's for Windows Metro and portable devices I believe.
RoboForm state that until Edge allows extensions it's out of their hands, it's a shame because RoboForm is used by so many, and until they can use it with Edge they'll stay away. Apart from this problem, I'm impressed with Edge.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

I've not used it per se, but when I was in Edge and clicked the Extensions > Get extensions from the Store and then in the Store search field typed RoboForm it showed me the app which I clicked and that took me to the app page which says its for PC. I clicked the button and it downloaded and installed fine.

I'm on Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1607 (OS Build 14393.105) using a Desktop PC

What are you on?

Sue

Reaction score
I'm on the same as you, I also downloaded the app but when I first clicked on it nothing happened. Now it has asked me to sign into my RoboForm account and it's working. The thing is it opens it's own explorer window and is not working In Edge, which is what I really wanted, it's useful though, so thank you for your help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh ok.

Yes sorry I really am not familiar with how these tools are supposed to work per se as I don't use them.

Sorry its not quite what you wanted there.

I did notice when selecting RoboForm there was another Password manager app listed too. Perhaps the other one would be more what you are after. Sorry I forgot the name of it though, but if you search in Store again you'll probably spot it. It appeared as another option on the page where you choose to download it.

Sue

Reaction score
Thank you, I did notice the other password manager but I really like Roboform, I have saved around 60 passwords to it, it can also be used for book marks, contacts, safe notes, applications, identities and contacts.
As it’s on a memory stick I can plug into any PC to use it. When going onto IE, Roboform appears in the task bar, it will automatically add in any saved information when I visit a site, save new information, and generate strong passwords. Until I had this I used the same password for each site, now I don’t have to worry about trying to remember them I have a different password on every site I use. I only have to remember one master password to open Roboform. I know not everyone agrees but I feel it’s safer. At the moment when using Edge I’m copying and pasting my passwords from Roboform, it would be so much easier if it worked as it did in IE and I'm sure other users must feel the same.
Thank you for your time, you’ve been very helpful. :)

clip_image001.gif
clip_image002.gif
clip_image003.gif

clip_image001.gif
clip_image004.gif

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're welcome Sue,

The extensions option for Edge is relatively new, so perhaps in time RoboForm will create a extension more to your liking for Edge. I guess just keep an eye out in Store for any updates.

I agree its certainly safer to have different passwords for each site requiring one and if you are comfortable with your current tools then stick with them.

Reaction score
I'm a little late to this forum ...
RoboForm is so much more than just passwords. From passwords, to filling other fields such as credit card numbers, etc.
Get it together MS/Edge ...

Ask a Question