SOLVED Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, can I then go back to Windows 10?

Reaction score
Just a quick question.

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop. Would I be allowed to roll back to Windows 7 and then go back to Windows 10 again as long as it is before July 29?

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
You have 28 days to roll back to Windows 7. I don't know if July 29th is cast in stone. I wouldn't leave it too long before you update to Win 10.

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

You misunderstand me.

I have already upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop. I know I can roll back to Windows 7 but if I do that, can I then go back to Windows 10 yet again after doing this? After all, I will still have Windows 7 again and the free upgrade does not end until July 29.

The reason I want to do this is so that I have a clean sheet once more in Windows 10.

Does all that makes sense?

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
I understood your question, you didn't say how long Windows 10 has been installed, if it's more than 28 days you cant roll back.

I don't see why you couldn't perform a reinstall. Nothing like a clean install, to get rid of the garbage. I would strongly suggest that you create a disk image first, at the very least back up all of you important files first before you uninstall Windows 10. When reinstalling you will be asked if you want to keep your files, click on delete everything. That way you'll have a fresh clean install.

Reaction score
I've only recently upgraded to Windows 10 so it is nowhere near 28 days yet.

I don't really want to uninstall windows 10, all I want to do is go back to Windows 7 and then upgrade again to Windows 10 so it will not be a clean install it will be a re-upgrade if you like.

Perhaps that's what you mean. I just wondered whether I would be allowed to do this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You are making it difficult to understand what you want to do. You say....
all I want to do is go back to Windows 7
That has been answered.... YES.. you can go back
Then you say....
The reason I want to do this is so that I have a clean sheet once more in Windows 10.
Rolling back to Windows 7 and then upgrading again will give you a "clean sheet" with Windows 10, but it is an upgrade so previous Windows 7 configuration will impact some of the look of Windows 10.
IF.....
What you want to do is completely clean install Windows 10 and start with Windows 10 as the only ever existing Operating System, then yes you can do that also....
Provided that your previous installation of Windows 10 was properly activated.

Reaction score
So, Trouble, let me ask this another way.
Legit W7 licence.
Upgrade to W10 , the free upgrade. The PC gets activated on W10 with a digital licence.
Within 30 days revert to W7.

3 months passes, no changes to the machine.

Can you then get W10 again (download the ISO) and install it AND find that you are activated on W10 with the same digital licence.

I though that was possible as that first W10 activation was good for the life of the machine...but I'm not sure .

I thought that was what Heathsideboy was asking.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
3 months passes, no changes to the machine.

Can you then get W10 again (download the ISO) and install it AND find that you are activated on W10 with the same digital licence.

I though that was possible as that first W10 activation was good for the life of the machine...but I'm not sure .
Sure..... no problem.
Reinstall and or repair until your hearts content.
I'm not sure all of these "what if's" are even relevant with proper backups, disk imaging and the various repair options including an in place upgrade repair, I'm not sure why anyone would go all the way back to Windows 7 (where's the benefit) and then perform the same upgrade again. I'm obviously missing someone's point I guess.

If you've upgraded to Windows 10 and then sometime next year, decide to wipe it and clean install Windows 7 and then attempt to upgrade that to Windows 10..... can you do it?? Probably / maybe.... I just don't understand why someone would double that work, when they could half it by just clean installing Windows 10.

You're on Windows 10, your intention is to remain on Windows 10, why would someone go back to Windows 7 or 8 for that matter to get to Windows 10. My mind doesn't work that way.

Reaction score
I'm with Windows 10 and staying with it. I even deleted my Dell Recovery drive and gained valuable disk real estate.
I had the same discussion with some folks on my forum this morning. They are adamant they are staying with XP and Vista :confused: Can you imagine that.
I informed them they had better be doing daily backups of their personal stuff.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
They are adamant they are staying with XP and Vista
I wish them luck and good fortune.
I suppose they figure they'll get Windows 10 when their computers finally give up the ghost.
Probably the way a lot of people are going to get it.

Reaction score
I still don't understand their logic. That is, running a PC with no support or security and all their personal info and ID available for any hacker. When they can upgrade to Win 10, it's bigger, better, faster, and more secure than any windows version. And they can save $150.
It's like keeping a model "T" Ford so you can still compete in the Indy 500. LOL

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF they have XP and or Vista, then there is not direct upgrade path, so I don't know how much actual savings they may or may not enjoy.
they'd first have to upgrade to at least Windows 7 in order to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to 10.

Reaction score
I believe that Microsoft had a change of heart. They will let XP users upgrade to Win 7 for $99. Still worth it if you are running a decent PC. Then take advantage of the free upgrade before the deadline.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Was just reading this and thought, for what it's worth, I would pass it along as it seemed to apply to this thread...... sort of.
So here’s a big reason to upgrade: Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 on your current PC, your PC will receive a “digital entitlement” that allows you to install Windows 10 for free in the future–even after July 29. If you don’t want to use Windows 10 now, you can upgrade, then downgrade back to Windows 7 or 8.1 and keep using that. If you ever decide you want to use Windows 10 in the future, you can upgrade to it for free since your computer has that digital entitlement.
SOURCE: http://www.howtogeek.com/263413/you...windows-10-free.-heres-why-you-should-update/

Reaction score
So here's where I'm at now so everyone understands. (I apologise if I had somewhat confused the issue within my posts).

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 twice. The reason for this is because when I did it the first time, I did not have a laptop dimming problem first of all. Then all of a sudden every time I booted up my laptop, it would dim to a point where I could not see it properly no matter what I did and by that I mean I tried everything!

So.... I then went back to Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 again. More time wasted! Once I was back with Windows 10 again, the problem appeared to not be there anymore until.... I clicked on "Display" in the Windows 10 Settings. As soon as I moved the slider for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" & the "Adjust brightness level," then the dimming problem came back again.

So after conversing for some time with the laptop PC manufacturer and trying many remote online tests that still did not yield a fix for my dimming laptop, I've decided to do what the manufacturer has advised.

So I am upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 at the moment and what they proposed that I should do is the following that will definitely fix the dimming laptop problem:

"You can do a clean install of Windows 10 using a USB stick that will need to be 4GB or larger,"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Simply download the tool and run it, following the wizard through to create your USB, then please back up any and all of your necessary data, as this will be removed during the installation process,

To perform a complete clean install, you will need to insert your Windows USB into the system and shut the machine down, then you will need to boot the machine and tap F7 repeatedly to bring up a boot menu, from the boot menu please select your USB drive and hit return,

Once you have loaded to the USB you will need to select the correct languages (please ensure the date & time and the keyboard input method are set to English (United Kingdom) Then click next and install,

You will need to accept the terms and conditions then you will need to select a custom installation, please then delete all of the partitions in front of you and install on your preferred drive, once you have installed you will need to install all of your drivers again, I would recommend downloading these from the downloads section of your account prior to installation, as you will likely not have an internet connection once the installation is complete prior to installing your drivers,

Please be aware that by doing this you will lose all of your data, so please be sure to back up prior to attempting this,"

This should then leave me with a brand new, clean install of Windows 10. Does that all makes sense now?

That's where I want to get to eventually. At the moment, I'm getting by with this Windows 10 upgrade and putting up with the problem of the dimming laptop.

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
Trouble gave you the exact same information in his first post as the manufacturer did.;)

Reaction score
Trouble gave you the exact same information in his first post as the manufacturer did.;)

Yes. The members here including yourself are very helpful. I just wanted to explain to Trouble and everybody else the reason why I wanted to go back to 7 and then forward again to 10. This was all because of the dimming issue that my laptop had after upgrading to Windows 10.

I now know that the only way I can rid myself of this problem is to do a thorough clean install but I also now know there is no need to rush in doing this. All it means is that every time I load up my laptop, I have to go into Settings > System Display, notifications, apps, power, and turn up the display brightness. That is a nuisance because I never had to do that with Windows 7 but at least I can do a clean install of Windows 10 at a time when I'm ready.

Thanks to all for the advice :)

HB

Reaction score
Well I'm glad your happy. It's not a fix to the problem but its a workable solution.
Don't forget to mark the post solved if your satisfied.

Ask a Question