SOLVED Run My Laptop With Out Battery

Reaction score
I have a Dell inspriron 17r n7110 laptop. Can I run that unit without a battery. If I can what is the procedure for doing so. I am scared of the Lithium battery (that is the big scare at present) I run the laptop as as desktop and I do not use it as a portable unit.
Any help or advise would appreciated.
Kas
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
I would try it. Open the case, remove the battery, plug in the power supply and see if it works. Depending on how the charging circuit is set up it may not work without the battery inserted. Years ago I had a Dell laptop with a totally dead battery and that did require the battery to be inplace.

Do you have insider knowledge about Dell laptop batteries failing?

Reaction score
I always operate my Dell Inspiron with the power supply. The battery is only used for portability. Charge the battery to 60% and store it in a cool place. You can refresh the battery charge every 4-6 months depending on use. You are using the laptop correctly, on a desktop, never ever on a couch or bedding, the materials will impede air flow through the bottom air intakes. This is how fires are caused with laptops.

Reaction score
Hi guys, thank for the reply
If I take the battery out it does not work at all, dead as a doorknob, even the off on switch does not work, do I have to make a change program change some were? rightnow it is charging at 100%.
I saw the blurb on tv that is why I want the battery out !!
Next !!!
Kas

Reaction score
I don't know why it is not working with your Dell but my HP and Toshiba run without the battery, just on the power adapter. I keep the battery inside though even I do not use it. It always is at 100% charge and will trickle charge if it goes down. Since I do not run the battery it will last a lot longer. My wife's laptop still has the first battery in it and is already 7 years old....
Your Dell might need the battery as a buffer as the charger might be not as strong as it should be. I know there are different models out there regarding the Wattage of the power supply (adapter). A higher wattage might work better, IDK.

Reaction score
Grizzly. The difference is that you keep that battery in place. Kachiro does not want to do that. I infer that Norton DOES run with the battery out of the machine. It all depends on how the circuitry is arranged.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some laptops will run without having the battery in place, in those the battery is only there to facilitate portability and runs primarily from the AC source which also serves to charge the battery when needed.
Some will not, that battery is part of the power circuit and is needed to turn the machine on, for those the computer runs always from the battery and only pulls from the AC source at a certain charge level to recharge the battery.

Bif

Reaction score
I run my HP laptop exclusively without the battery, solely on AC power... Although I do attach the battery every few months and give it a full charge just in case I decide to actually use it as a laptop!;)

Reaction score
Good news....the problem is solved, the new battery crapped and they sent me new battery, I said that is strange, that should not happen. I noticed that the new battery was not charging, I said to myself the charger crapped out. I put on a new charger and everything was working fine. I have not tried running the PC on just a charger and as I found out I removed the battery and everything was working(no battery) the major problem was the charger!!!!! Now I do not have to worrying about the lithium battery blowing up

My heart felt thanks to every body the chimed in

Problem solved!!!!

Reaction score
Grizzly. The difference is that you keep that battery in place. Kachiro does not want to do that.

I knew that. I also mentioned that his charger might not have been strong enough to run the laptop which was just a guess on my part but was true in the end.

Ask a Question