Same product key?

Reaction score
My moms desktop is a custom built from frys with i5 2380p and 8gb ram very fast. I installed windows 8 from microsoft. Got the key from them. Very fast but decided to try windows 10 and see. Not bad either. Really starting to like it. I forget what the key is but it is definitely different.

Anyhow my other 2 are the same. How odd. I have a samsung nprv515 a01us from best buy in 2011. And a netbook late october 2012 I got from eBay. It is a 2011 model. It is a lenovo idea pad s9 with 2.5gb ram. And I stuck a sata 160gb hd in there. Not ssd just plain old hd.

My samsung came with windows 7 and for the netbook I got an 8 key off eBay. I know, but it activated so it is ok. Anyhow I upgraded to windows 10 on the samsung. And I did a clean install of windows 10 on the netbook.

Anyhow I want to sell the laptops on ebay. I want to get one better faster smaller more portable unit for everything including travel. So I used magic jelly bean key finder just out of curiosity to see what key it gives me and if its the same as 7 or 8. Its not but to my surprise its the same key. I thought it was supposed to be different keys for each computer. Both NPRV and Ideapad got the same exact key. But it activated. So its good as long as its activated.

But since its the same I can not ebay it can I unless I sell both as a pair.

Both keys start with "YTMG3". Its weird. Normally you cannot reuse the same key. Or is this how the free windows 10 is for 1 year. Home users get key and pro get another.

My mom is pro and my laptop and netbook are not pro.

Reaction score
I found the answer here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/..._10240_did_you_get_assigned_a_licenseproduct/

Seems he got a generic key for his pro.

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

My mom got the same key. So looks like they are using generic key for upgrades and activation. Explains why both mine have the same key.

So does this mean I am good as long as it activates? Or is this a generic key and I should be having unique key?

Edit: Oh and read the comments. One guy has list of the generic keys. I got the YTMG3 key on my both netbook and laptop.

Ask a Question