SOLVED Saved documents are saved in 2 locations but both are on the D drive.

Reaction score
I have managed to transfer all my saved documents to my D drive as so:

This PC\Local Disc (D)\andy5\Documents

So it saves on this drive which is what I wanted.

BUT: any saved document I save to the location shown above is also saved to here:

This PC\Documents

I checked the location of This PC\Documents and it is still on the D drive but these are just copies of the location above with my username in it.

What I would like to know is how can I make it that any saved documents just go to the one location shown above as “This PC\Local Disc (D)\andy5\Documents?"

Thanks

HB

Reaction score
Open File explorer. Open This PC. Right click on Documents, click on Properties.

Click on the location tab. Does that show d:\andy5\ ? or d:\Users\Andy5\Documents or d:\Documents.

Reaction score
If you search for a document does the search show two copies.

If you try to rename one copy do both get renamed? ( use elevated command prompt cd to the directory and use the good old Dos rename command... but that might be virtualized by Windows) I am trying to think of how you can reliably determine that there are actually two copies rather than just two different links going to the same place...which is what I think you have.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds to me like your PC is doing exactly what you want it to do, unless I'm missing something.....
Everything is apparently already at and when new items are saved D:\Users\YourUserName\Documents
To double check, open one of the folders contained therein and then in the Address bar, under the file explorer Ribbon, right click inside that address bar and choose "Edit address".....
What does it say?

Is this not what you want or wanted.

I have managed to transfer all my saved documents to my D drive as so:
This PC\Local Disc (D)\andy5\Documents
So it saves on this drive which is what I wanted.

This PC -> Documents is just a pointer to that location not another or separate save location.

Reaction score
I should explain that I am disabled and the computer this is happening on is in my garage. I am usually in there every Tuesday so I will not be on that computer again until next week to try your suggestions.

I will try the things that you have suggested at that time but answering some of your other questions.

I am not using “Save as” to save a document, I just close the document, click save, name the document and click save again.

I tend to believe what you all have been saying and that although there are 2 locations shown, these are in fact the same location and the documents are in fact being saved in one place.

Leave it with me and I will try your suggestions next week.

Thanks for all your help.

HB

Reaction score
Okay, finally tried your suggestions and when opening a folder in my documents, right clicking on the Explorer address bar and then choose "Edit address," it says this, D:\andy5\Documents\----

So I'm assuming from this that this is the same location and that any saved documents are only going to the one location.

Thanks for your help and I will mark this thread as solved.

HB

Last edited:

Ask a Question