SOLVED Saving files in File Folders vs OneDrive

Reaction score
I have purchased a Surface Pro 4 and have started copying file folders from my former laptop to the Surface Pro 4. While I manually save files into Files Explorer I note they are automatically saved on OneDrive as well, which I do not want. This prompts 2 questions: 1) How can I prevent files copied on File Explorer from being automatically saved also on OneDrive, and 2) How can I delete file folders from OneDrive? I have right clicked on them and then on Remove, but they are not removed nor deleted.

Thank you.

Reaction score
I don't use OneDrive's automatic file saving options for similar reasons. Have you checked your settings? Right-click the OneDrive icon on the System Tray, click on 'Settings', and examine the options under the 'Account' and 'Auto save' tabs.

Under the 'Account' tab, click the "Choose folders" button and de-select all folders. (You may also have to click the "Unlink OneDrive" button to enable you to delete the unwanted file folders from OneDrive. I'm not sure about that.)

Under the 'Auto save' tab select "This PC only" for Documents and Pictures and uncheck both check boxes.

If these steps solve your problem, you can return these options to your desired settings when you're finished copying your files.

Ask a Question