Saving work in Wordpad

Reaction score
When I try to save added text to a document in Wordpad that I have already "Saved as" I keep getting the "saved as" page. How do I Save additional text?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Barb and welcome to the forum.
Where is the wordpad file saved?
Whatever the container (folder / directory) you will need to make sure that you are.....
The owner of that directory and all of its' child objects / subfolders and files.
AND
That your specific user account has explicit "full control" of that container and all of its' child objects / subfolders and files.

To help with some of that go here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Download "TakeOwnership.zip"
Extract it and double click "Install TakeOwnership.reg"
Answer any prompts (possibly two) in the affirmative.

Once that is done you will have a new item on your right click context menu "TakeOwnership"
That may be sufficient to overcome your issue, if not then you will need to configure your user account permissions for the folder as well.

Reaction score
I see the thread is marked as solved, but I am curious, should this occur with anyone else. I have not experienced this issue.
I have Wordpad as my default txt/rtf editor. At what point are you having this problem?

When I first write something, in Wordpad, I need to select "File" and "save as". This allows me to select a location. If, with a new doc, I merely select "save", a second window pops up, again with the "save as" option.
From then on, I can add text, modify existing text etc, and, just "save". It will save without prompting to the last selected location.
Attempting to save to a secured/system location is prohibited, with an accompanying pop up,, so I would guess that is not your problem.

Apart from setting up the page layout, there are no other options for Wordpad, unless the registry is hacked.

Is this the procedure you follow?

Reaction score
this is not solved for me. I do like this option of processers. No auto spell ck? My problem at the moment is saving things automatically. I read the above info. Is there no way to save work as I go? I hit the save under File and get a small message that says "unable to locate document" I have it saved properly and can pull it up at next setting. What do I do to save as I go?

Reaction score
WordPad is a very 'lite' version of Microsoft Word [part of Microsoft Office], doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles of Word. It's actually a holdover from Write included with Windows 3.11 and earlier.
What do I do to save as I go?
You should have a floppy disk icon on the Toolbar/Ribbon or upper left end of the Title bar , just click it to save a previously-saved document as you continue working on it. The File, Save As is good if wanting to save with a different name or in a different location/Folder.
WordPad.png

Reaction score
Yes! There is a way to save the work as you are typing. Depress Ctrl+S periodically it will save the text as you type. Should you accidentally X close the program, or worse your PC crashes the document will contain the work up to the last Ctrl+S. Pre-requisite the initial doc has to be "Save As" First. I used to write technical papers for work, the very first thing I did when creating a new doc was execute "Save As" give it a name and save to a folder location of choice. As the doc was being created I would hit Ctrl+S every paragraph.

Ask a Question