Scam messages in Edge

Reaction score
Edge on my desktop has been infected With various scam Messages, ranging from "Your computer is infected With virus" to betting ads.

Is it possible to remove Edge from the PC and then reinstall?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you cleared Cookies and saved web site dat in Edge?

The messages like critical alert from Microsoft, etcetera are scripted inside .htm files that will be stored in one or more of the sub-folders inside Microsoft Edge's AC folder located here:

Code:
%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC

Sample image

sample.png

To clear these folder from Edge browser:
  • Click the . . . in top right corner of Edge browser
  • Select Settings
  • Click Choose what to clear button
  • Check the first four choices then click the Clear button
Sample image

sample2.png

That should resolve your issue.

If you really want to uninstall and reinstall Edge, then confirm this and I'll post how to do this.

Regards,

Regedit32

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
  • Never click any such pop ups or messages
  • Never click any links to open other websites from any pop ups or anything related to these things.
  • Never install any software suggested
  • Never call any phone numbers suggested
  • Never let anyone claiming to want to help you clean your PC from such messages access your PC via remote desktop.
So assuming you havent done any of the above

1. press CTRL + ALT + DELETE Open Taskmanager
  2. Find the Microsoft Edge program
  3. Right click and select End task.

edge.png

Now just clear all your temporary files and cleanups disk.

see http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-how-to-open-and-use-disk-cleanup/

Just select all boxes in Disk Cleanup Tool.

Now assuming you didnt click install run or otherwise fell for any of those traps you should be OK, but to be sure Run a Full System Scan with Windows Defender or your 3rd party virus scanner if you have one instead.

From the Start screen

1. Type “Windows Defender” (without quotes), then press “Enter” to open the Windows Defender.
  2. Click the “Home” tab, then check the status next to “Virus and Spyware Definitions.” If it displays “Out of Date,” click the “Update” button to automatically install the latest malware definitions.
  3. After updating, click the radio button next to “Full” under the “Scan Options” section and then click “Scan Now."
Once Windows Defender finishes scanning your computer for viruses, it reports viruses it found (if any) and the action it took on infected files.

Edit: I see someone @Regedit32 beat me to it, while I was composing message, so Ill leave the info above anyway.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Data,

I like your approach too. No harm in ending Edge task, and handling the temporary files as you suggested.

Useful, should Edge become corrupted and the User cannot adjust settings as I instructed.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Why not just use CCleaner Free for all these tasks?

Yes you could download and install CCleaner if you wanted to. My question back to you Comp Cmndo — Why bother installing Third Party Software which performs tasks all ready built into the operating system you are using?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I very nearly recommended CCleaner (because it would be easier for me), but Im of the opinion that one must learn how to use the OS and know basic functions and familiarize yourself with built in apps/functionality before going around to 3rd parties.

Not only that, thinking how the OP got himself into that situation to begin, visiting some ... questionable sites. So best not to tempt the Devil here...

Its like teaching someone to fly and they have no wings ;) and then find registry cleaners and well... nope.

CCleaner is actually a nice tool worth having (I do) because it clears more stuff out than the OS can, i.e other programs, duplicate files so on.

[Moderator Edit] - sent you a message why.

Last edited:
Reaction score
...My question back to you Comp Cmndo — Why bother installing Third Party Software which performs tasks all ready built into the operating system you are using?
Most people don't understand how to use the "built-in" stuff, even when you explain it step-by-step. CCleaner makes it far easier. KISS Method is always preferable.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Most people don't understand how to use the "built-in" stuff, even when you explain it step-by-step. CCleaner makes it far easier. KISS Method is always preferable.

I'm guessing that if someone cannot understand clicking ellipsis > settings > choose what to clear > selecting what to clear > then clicking clear button, they would find it difficult to explain to me just about all of the possible settings in CCleaner, without googling for the answer, and reading what Piriform tell you.

I'm also pretty sure many people cannot explain to me what it is about running Malwarebytes on a Windows OS which happens to be also Running Norton 360, that causes Operating System instability.

All three third party programs can make life easier and even safer to some degree, and just like the Windows Operating System, if you don't make the time to learn about, you will never make best use of.

Reaction score
Have you cleared Cookies and saved web site dat in Edge?

The messages like critical alert from Microsoft, etcetera are scripted inside .htm files that will be stored in one or more of the sub-folders inside Microsoft Edge's AC folder located here:

Code:
%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC

Sample image

View attachment 5505

To clear these folder from Edge browser:
  • Click the . . . in top right corner of Edge browser
  • Select Settings
  • Click Choose what to clear button
  • Check the first four choices then click the Clear button
Sample image

View attachment 5508

That should resolve your issue.

If you really want to uninstall and reinstall Edge, then confirm this and I'll post how to do this.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks, Regedit32.
Found the files in AppData and managed to delete 3. 2 others required Administrator authority, which I have, but is not accepted. Ticked off the boxes to be cleared. Look forward to be rid of all the pop-ups

Reaction score
Thanks, Regedit32.
Found the files in AppData and managed to delete 3. 2 others required Administrator authority, which I have, but is not accepted. Ticked off the boxes to be cleared. Look forward to be rid of all the pop-ups
Hi, RegEdit32

Unfortunately the pop-ups remain.
Maybe you can help by telling me how to access the AC files as Administrator.
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi, Data
Yes, I've run the Disk-cleanup AND CCleaner, but to no avail. The pop-ups keep coming up.
I have checked the contents of the remaining #files in Packages/AC and cookies etc, have 0 bytes.

One pop-up, from a betting Company, seems to be triggered from the log-in window of my bank.
Any suggestions?

Ask a Question