Screen goes dark

Reaction score
I just updated to windows 10 and all went well until I found that when I plug in the power lead the screen goes dark. If I have the power lead in on start up the screen stays dark so I cant see if its started up. My laptop is a PackardBell EasyNote ENTF71BM , I have checked the power setting and they seem to be OK. Ha any one come across this?

Reaction score
I plug in the power lead the screen goes dark.
Are you referring to the external power supply for a laptop? Most laptops have separate power settings for when the unit is plugged in or not. This is probably what you have checked but if not you might do so. If it were to be going to sleep, one of those settings may need adjusting.

There is also a possibility the power supply is not compatible with Windows 10. Since those types of units have sensing which checks the computer there may be a conflict with that process.

If you can get the system working with the power unit plugged in you can run the command below which is supposed to check the power unit. Shutdown all other software and open an Administrative command prompt. It takes about a minute to finish so after it is done make note of the file name and where it is stored. Then copy it to the desktop and open.

powercfg /energy

Ask a Question