SOLVED Screen going black/white

Reaction score
Hi I am hoping that someone might know why my screen whilst using my computer suddenly goes black and sometimes white and the only way of getting it back is to re-boot the system. At times the screen will shudder for a while and then suddenly goes black or white (it is shuddering now). I have win 10 on an extreme computer (I7 with high spec graphics card) and all drivers and MS win 10 are up to date. It has only just started doing it and also the monitor does not start when turning on the computer, I have to turn monitor off then on again and it is ok. I have tried different drivers etc but nothing works, If someone has any thoughts then please help. Both the computer and the monitor continue to work once I get the black screen. It is random and not the screen saver either.Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried experimenting with different interface connections end to end....
VGA to VGA, DVI to DVI, HDMI to HDMI
Do you have another monitor to test with?
Can you replace the current cable being used with a new one (assuming HDMI) sometimes the shielding is inferior and you may need one of better quality. Also if you are using any interface adapter to convert the connection then you will probably want to do away with that and purchase the proper end to end cable interface.

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for replying. I have tried another monitor and a TV, I tried other interface connections and have replaced a good HDMI cable with 3 others but the same still happens and I do not use adapters. It is really strange and very annoying. It has never done it before that's what is so puzzling. I have uninstalled drivers and re-installed drivers but nothing sorts it out the screen suddenly flickers very fast then eventually the screen goes blackish or white, the computer remains on and the monitor remains on with blue light and there is nothing I can do apart from re-booting the computer also there is no error messages in the event log. Thanks anyway.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like you've eliminated the cable(s), interface port(s), and monitor, as well as experimented with various drivers.
That pretty much leaves the GPU itself. Check and reseat it and confirm that it is seated firmly and properly.
Failing that, you may need to consider that the card is bad.

Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling the video drivers with DDU (in safe mode) and reinstalling? Maybe tried older drivers. If it's an nvidia card (which we wouldn't know), they've had some pretty wonky drivers lately.

Reaction score
Sounds like you've eliminated the cable(s), interface port(s), and monitor, as well as experimented with various drivers.
That pretty much leaves the GPU itself. Check and reseat it and confirm that it is seated firmly and properly.
Failing that, you may need to consider that the card is bad.
Hi and yes I have also had the Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 out and cleaned and re-seated it but the problem still remains. This morning it was flickering really bad and then again went black although the PC remains on and the monitor remains on. I think I am going to do a complete uninstall of win 10 and format the hard drive fully and start again to see if this stops it and if not then I shall purchase a new GPU (Nvidia GeForce 1050 edition) and see how it goes. Thanks anyway for your help.

Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling the video drivers with DDU (in safe mode) and reinstalling? Maybe tried older drivers. If it's an nvidia card (which we wouldn't know), they've had some pretty wonky drivers lately.
Hi and thanks for responding however, I have uninstalled and re-installed vidia drivers every which way I know including DDU but no change and yes the graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 760. Thanks anyway for your help.

Reaction score
"the monitor does not start when turning on the computer, I have to turn monitor off then on again and it is ok."

Looks more like a monitor problem than the graphics card/drivers??

Can you try another monitor or, if not, perhaps connect to a TV.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
:) It's not like we all haven't done it before, I'm definitely guilty myself.
Everyone is just trying to help and all are, I'm sure.... appreciated.
AND
Always good to know that.... great minds think alike.

Reaction score
Andrew you said that you have "Tried another monitor and a TV, I tried other interface connections and have replaced a good HDMI cable with 3 others but the same still happens and I do not use adapters.
Are you overclocking the GPU?
Sounds like an overheating problem to me. First I would be checking all cooling fans are cleaned, operational with no air flow restrictions.
If this doesn't resolve the problem I would suggest removing the thermal heat sinks remove all traces of the old thermal compound using Isopropyl alcohol, (any drug store) replace the thermal paste on all heat sinks with new paste and re-seat them.

All electronics are Dun like dinner, when the smoke gets out.

Reaction score
Good idea! But, overheating on initial start?
I remember, though, way back, I had the same problem on an Acer. The onboard contact to the graphics chip was actually open until the motherboard warmed up a little. It then started to work!

In my case, a quick touch on the bad point, with a hot soldering iron, solved the problem - I had steadier hands then!!

Reaction score
"the monitor does not start when turning on the computer, I have to turn monitor off then on again and it is ok."

Looks more like a monitor problem than the graphics card/drivers??

Can you try another monitor or, if not, perhaps connect to a TV.
Thanks but have already tried that but no success.

Reaction score
Andrew you said that you have "Tried another monitor and a TV, I tried other interface connections and have replaced a good HDMI cable with 3 others but the same still happens and I do not use adapters.
Are you overclocking the GPU?
Sounds like an overheating problem to me. First I would be checking all cooling fans are cleaned, operational with no air flow restrictions.
If this doesn't resolve the problem I would suggest removing the thermal heat sinks remove all traces of the old thermal compound using Isopropyl alcohol, (any drug store) replace the thermal paste on all heat sinks with new paste and re-seat them.

All electronics are Dun like dinner, when the smoke gets out.

Thanks for that I will try it. I have just done a complete re-install of win 10 and that did not work either. I have not overclocked my PC - not that brave.

Reaction score
Hi, this happened to me after an update and it is really annoying. After a while researching I found this:

1. go to windows settings
2. on the search box type "greyscale" and select "turn color filters on or off"
3. change color filter to OFF.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Esteban but my PC is working ok again now, I do not know how or why it just started ok. Thanks anyway.

Reaction score
Hi, this happened to me after an update and it is really annoying. After a while researching I found this:

1. go to windows settings
2. on the search box type "greyscale" and select "turn color filters on or off"
3. change color filter to OFF.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Ask a Question