Screen Saver won't start in Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting a new thread about this, as I've just signed up and can't find the original discussion about it. It seems that quite a few people are having this problem. My screen saver is set to display my Pictures on Shuffle after a minute, then go to Sleep after 25mns. There is nothing wrong with my Power settings, as that goes off OK, as one person had trouble with both.

I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago from Windows 7 without any problems, and my screen saver has actually come on once since doing this. I was hoping at the time that it would work, so was pleased when it came on, but I think it didn't do it straight off. Some people suggested that it might be some devices that were causing the problem and it worked for some people.

I have changed to a WI FI modem about a week ago, but I'm sure the I had this when the screen saver came on. I do have a Logie Tech Skype auto mic plugged in which I don't use regularly, but haven't tried unplugging this to see. Everything worked perfectly with W7 and WXP before that. Even with these though, I did used to have the odd time when the screen saver didn't come on, but it always righted itself. Just wondering why, if it worked once, that it doesn't work now. My Desk Top just stays put for 25mns now that the screen saver doesn't come on, then goes to Sleep, but I know I could change the time for this.

Even if we don't need a screen saver now, I liked to see MY Pictures slideshow coming up, as they looked really nice. If it is a Microsoft Error, then I hope they will fix it. Mine's not due to poor maintenance, as I have AVG Tune-up and Security installed as well as the AVG anti-virus. The Tune-up keeps the Registry clean and cleans up the Desk Top and space management etc. Hope there is a solution to this, or if anyone's got anything else to suggest that doesn't sound complicated, as I'm a 'mature-age' person but have been using the computer and internet since '99.

Reaction score
Well, at one time, I thought I had this all figured out and that the problem was solved. My screen saver was working just fine for about two weeks, and then it abruptly stopped working, for reasons that I cannot figure out. Hopefully somebody at Microsoft will get a handle on the problem with the power settings, as they don't seem very reliable or consistent once set.

Reaction score
Hi again. I thought my screensaver problem was fixed, as yesterday, I think it was the same day I posted, I noticed my screensaver had come on! I was sitting in my armchair with my back to it watching TV, as my comp is in my lounge room, and saw it was on. It didn't seem long that it went to black screen for the Sleep mode, so it must have been on for awhile, as I have it set to come on after a minute, then go for 25mns before going to Sleep mode.

I left it on and moved the mouse to take it back to the Desk Top and I think it came on again, which I was relieved about, as it hadn't worked for about three days. Today, though, it hasn't come on again. As mentioned in my first post, it used to do this when I had W7 and WXP but not for as long as it did before, usually just for the session when I'd finished using it.

I think it's just being temperamental now, as obviously it's not to do with anything I've got plugged in such as my Logie Tech camera for Skype, and it's not my WI FI modem as I tried switching it off when I wasn't using my comp when the screensaver wasn't working and it didn't make any difference. I also said that it did come on once soon after I'd upgraded to W10 so it can't be that either. Unless there is something in W10 now that's jinxing it, or as I said, just temperamental. Perhaps it will come on again.

Ask a Question