SD CARD READER INSTALL HELP

Reaction score
The sd card reader on my Inspiron no longer worked after I upgraded to Win 10 and after reading numerous posts on various sites I understood this to be a common problem. Win 10 doesn't recognize the device when a card is inserted so nothing happens.

I tried to uninstall the driver (to re-install it as one of the recommended solutions) but instead I accidentally uninstalled the device itself. I tried to re-install it using "add new device" but since Win 10 doesn't even see the device that didn't work.

Any suggestions on how I can get the device back would be greatly appreciated as I have a number of pictures on my camera that I need to download.
Thanks..........

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming that the device is not physically broken, you need to consider that for Windows to see the device, the underlying architecture and subsystems have to be in place for that to happen, so.....
I would go to Dell Support http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/
Plug in your Service Tag Number and download and install all the drivers they have available for your system, including BIOS, Chipset, Audio, Video, Storage Controllers, Network, USB and the Card Reader, etc.,
The Card Reader is probably reliant and riding on one of the other subsystem drivers

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answer. After I posted I tried 3 different sd cards and on the last one (surprise!) there was no problem as the data was read just fine and I see SDHC listed as one of the disk drives in the Device Manager. But when I insert another sd card it's back to the original problem and when I look at the device's properties I see the following message:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

I checked the driver and it's the latest one available. All the other drivers and the BIOS are also up to date.

Any thoughts?
Thanks..................

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope, nothing other than to suspect a bad SD card, if one reads and works then they all should unless they're damaged or not formatted or initialized.
Have you tried the cards that you cannot read in another system or reader?

Reaction score
I made another try and if I insert the "bad" card after removing the "good" one all is fine and I can access all the data on it. However the card from my camera still does not get recognized but I know it's good since it works in the camera. It's from a SONY and I have to use a Memory Stick Duo Adapter to insert it but I don't think that's the reason why it's not being recognized since it was working fine until I installed Win 10.
I found a USB cable that came with the camera and was able to download the pictures so I'll use that method for now but I am still going to look for a solution since it's much easier to do it that way.
Thanks for your help.
:)

Ask a Question