SEARCH does not ALWAYS work

Reaction score
If I type "Rolling Thunder" in the search box, down by the start button, Windows finds a few items. The first category is labeled BEST MATCH. Under that it lists : Rolling Thunder Picture.jpg, JPG file, View Photo. This is highlighted in a blue tint. However if I hit ENTER, nothing happens. If I left click on it, nothing happens either. If I just put the mouse over the listing, it tells me the location, and I checked, the picture is still at that location. The SEARCH feature works for OTHER items, but not everything. Suggestions, please, Mike

Reaction score
Mike, it works on my system. The Rolling Thunder site is pretty complex, and your rig might by rejecting the site itself (or the site is rejecting your rig because your video card isn't strong enough).

Here are some suggestions:

1) Go to Google.com and/or Yahoo.com and see if you can get on. If not, the problem is probably your video card. If you can get on, Cortana might have a corrupted file.

2) Try other searches in the Cortana search box. If they work, you probably don't have a corrupted file.

3) It is possible that you have security software that rejects the site you want.

4) Left-click the start button to make sure that it works. If not, you definitely have a corrupted file.

If you have a corrupted file, go to Task Manager--File--Run New Task--then type the word powershell into the box and check the box giving you Administrator Privileges. When PowerShell opens, types sfc /scannow into the command line. The scan will take about an hour and a half.

Reaction score
Thanks Vince for the reply, but this is a JPG picture that is "on" my computer. I am not trying to access the web page.
Mike

Reaction score
Yowser! Okay, try this.

A couple of days ago, I downloaded the free "Everything" program that does a VERY diligent search of your files. It's hard to get it toned down. See if that can get the picture to show.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Reaction score
Vince, I thought I would try just rebooting, before I downloaded any programs. It now works. I will keep that link you provided to voidtools, just in case it stops working again. Many thanks, Mike

Ask a Question