SOLVED search icon in taskbar

Reaction score
So, as soon as I had installed Windows 10 and saw what I presumed was a redundant search icon in the taskbar I deleted it. I assumed search would be in the start menu, but it isn't. Now I have no search icon anywhere. Is there a way to get it back?

Reaction score
Would you describe how did you delete the search icon ?
I am really curious to know.

Meanwhile......................
What if you right click at an open spot of the taskbar > click Cortana > click Show search box.

Will that work ?

Reaction score
Ha, well, I understand your perplexity as I have now read a thread at another forum over frustration at not being able to delete the Search icon. So how did I do it? Ha, I'm not sure. What I remember is that I right clicked on the icon and chose unpin, something like that. If I remember right I did this with two of the icons in the taskbar within minutes of Windows 10 being installed. If I try to do that now I no longer get that little box. Instead it is the taskbar window that opens up. I wonder if I got an update very quickly after the installation which changed things around a bit. Weird, huh?

I tried your suggestion and I do get the search box if I click on Show search box, but that is not the same as the icon that used to be there (a magnifying glass, yeah?) So, the Search icon was for searching the web? Seems to be what Cortana is for, yeah? So no loss, right? Since many people wish they could get rid of it too, ha. I thought maybe the Search icon was for searching the system, which I still don't know how to do if I want to. That is why I wanted it back, to search the system. There is no search app in the start menu for doing that.

I also seem to remember the Control Panel showing in the Start menu, but then later it wasn't there. It's been rather confusing so I'm not sure now about that. At any rate I figured out it is the Settings icon they want us to use instead of Control Panel and in fact I used it to delete an app I no longer wanted.

So now I am wondering if I am remembering this right....... Next to the Start icon were 4 other icons, yeah? Cortana, Task View, Search, and....... ? Is there another? If so, I can't remember what it was. Can you tell me?

Reaction score
Taskbar.jpg

From left to right......
1. Start button
2. Cortana plus search bar
3. Task View
4. Microsoft Edge
5. Store
6. File explorer.

Control Panel:
Right click at the Start button will give you Control Panel among the list.

Reaction score
Ha, I just made a discovery. I turned Cortana off (had to go into Settings and type in Cortana to get the Cortana settings box) and the Cortana icon disappeared and was replaced by.... ta da!.... the Search icon! Ha!

In the process I realized that the search box in Settings can be used for searching the system, right?

At any rate, it seems like I am stuck with either the Cortana or the Search icon and can no longer 'unpin' them like I could at first. Sooooo strange.

Reaction score
View attachment 751
From left to right......
1. Start button
2. Cortana plus search bar
3. Task View
4. Microsoft Edge
5. Store
6. File explorer.

Control Panel:
Right click at the Start button will give you Control Panel among the list.

Ah, ok, thank you!!! It was the Store icon I unpinned. And right clicking must have been how I found the Control Panel before, though there are plenty of other ways I have found, ha.

Anyway, thanks again!

Reaction score
Yes. You are no more than hiding the search bar.
One click at the magnifying glass, search bar will appear at the popup box.

Ask a Question