See what you will lose installing Windows 10

Reaction score
"Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available."

That is unacceptable, I do not want my machine rebooting or nagging me to reboot. I will be killing the process that allows this to happen.

Thanks MS for taking away yet another of my choices to install when I want to install.

Reaction score
In case you have overlooked......
That "unacceptable" part only applies to Win 10 HOME version.
Pro version still retains the options of auto or manual install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just hope it also includes .....
Allowing me to stop Windows Updates from downloading and installing drivers for my hardware.
I would much rather handle things of that nature, my self.

Reaction score
I will miss the Gadgets I use, As Gadgets will not be included will one still be able to add some after the W10 installation ---- there are now over 900 Gadgets available. The security issues supposedly associated with them presumably apply to some but not to others? I have not seen a thorough explanation. Nothing from MS since their statement years ago.

See the site GadgetsRevived.

clayto

Reaction score
The way I see it on my PC at build 10130 Pro version, is two choices "Automatic" or "Notify to schedule a restart" so what makes you believe you have the option to accept or deny updates?

Reaction score
I will miss the Gadgets I use, As Gadgets will not be included will one still be able to add some after the W10 installation ---- there are now over 900 Gadgets available. The security issues supposedly associated with them presumably apply to some but not to others? I have not seen a thorough explanation. Nothing from MS since their statement years ago.

clayto
Apparently it's been known for quite some time now, that gadgets create a gateway for access to your computer and I for one took a bit of notice of this and stopped using gadgets over 12 months ago.

Reaction score
They did. In 2011. They were considered to be exploitive. It is claimed that the Live Tiles run in a more secure environment.
My personal opinion is that the third party Apps in the store, are not sufficiently monitored to be certain of that statement. Many take you to a normal web page where you can download the App, with all it doubtful content.

By the way - Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
The way I see it on my PC at build 10130 Pro version, is two choices "Automatic" or "Notify to schedule a restart" so what makes you believe you have the option to accept or deny updates?

The Article I posted was about Windows 10 RTM on July 29th.
We, subsequently were discussing Windows Update option in Windows RTM. Not the Insider Preview.
Read the article again.

Reaction score
I agree , I now when I get a up date when I get up and my computer is on I do not know it has been on . When I turn my computer on , the first thing is check up dates . I hope it stays that way with pro , put if you have WIN 10 Home and you go a way for a week end , your computer might be on the whole time , not good , HACKERS .

Reaction score
This is bad .. really bad. I don't want Windows to download and install my up dates automatically. It's my computer,,, I want to tell it what to do. I want to decide when I want updates installed. ......... Why on earth would Microsoft do this for the Home version, but have the option with more expensive versions. This is sooo bad. Cheers.

Reaction score
. ......... Why on earth would Microsoft do this for the Home version, but have the option with more expensive versions. This is sooo bad. Cheers.

Allow me to clarify. I learned more about this matter since I posted the thread.
Win 10 Home users will have their updates installed automatically.
Win 10 Pro users will get a "delay" option ( for 30 days I think ). BUT, the update will get installed after that eventually.

Reaction score
Could groupthink apply here? Microsoft seems to know better than you do when updates should take place. This is similar to how absolutely necessary a password of predetermined complexity is. Dissent will not be tolerated. You must agree. Have you seen on the news former general Wesley Clarks' proposal for interment camps for dissenters?

Reaction score

clayto

if your into them here is a site that still has them, they claim they work on 10

http://8gadgetpack.net/

Reaction score
Just to let you guys know, I have installed 8gadgetpack in the latest build 10240 and it works Fine. And any concern over the use of gadgets would be aided by the use of clean ones, so do some research before you use any. I have been using 8gadgetpack since windows 8 was first released with no problems. I am not denying that the use of gadgets can be a concern, but they still work in windows 10 , and I have not had any security issues even with 8. I stripped 10240 back to look and feel just like 7, with stuff like, 8gadgetpack, classicshell, and tweak uac 1.1, it works just fine.

cool deal..... I did the same thing with W8/8.1, but don't use the gadgets, I like my desktop clean of everything :)

Reaction score

its still a dam cheek to expect us too pay extra too defer update downloads

Reaction score
"Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available."

That is unacceptable, I do not want my machine rebooting or nagging me to reboot. I will be killing the process that allows this to happen.

Thanks MS for taking away yet another of my choices to install when I want to install.

There is a way around this. ;)
1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

3. In right-side pane, look for "Configure Automatic Updates" option.

Configure_Automatic_Updates_Options.png

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to Enabled.

Now select any of the given options according to your requirements:

• 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
  • 3 - Auto download and notify for install
  • 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
  • 5 - Allow local admin to choose setting
Allow_Windows_Update_Settings_Customization.png

PS: Select the last option "5 - Allow local admin to choose setting" to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

That's it. Apply changes and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

Ask a Question