Set up the same OneDrive on two computers

Reaction score
I have a laptop running Windows 10 that I log into using my Microsoft account (actually an old Hotmail account) which gives me access to a OneDrive - this is good, and what I want.

But I have another desktop also running Windows 10 where I don't have to log in using a Microsoft account, and while there is a OneDrive set up on it, it's not the same one and I'm not really sure whether it's associated with an account or not or how it got there.

I want to set up the desktop to use the same Microsoft login as the laptop, and have access to the same OneDrive as the laptop - how do I do this without losing any data or losing access to any profile-specific folders/applications on my desktop?

Reaction score
Start up Onedrive on the desktop and login to Onedrive with your MS account.

Reaction score
agreed. I do that with 3 PC of my own and I never log in the pc with a hotmail account, only a local account.

Reaction score
Thanks,

I'm not sure about the difference between a Hotmail/MS account, and a local account - the local account is just for that computer, and wouldn't need an email address as username?

I think the laptop has managed to set up an extra OneDrive when I upgraded to Windows 10 - I log into it with my usual hotmail account and password, and get emails from that hotmail account in the Mail application; but the OneDrive in Windows Explorer is totally different to the OneDrive I get if I log into the hotmail website. The one on the website is the same as I have access to on my desktop.

So to keep it simple, if I backup all of my OneDrive files on a local drive, how can I then uninstall/disable OneDrive on both computers, and then set them up again how I want them?

Reaction score
Okay, it looks like it's the same OneDrive, just that it hadn't synced to both machines recently which is why I was seeing different things on each machine. Sorting it out now. :)

Ask a Question