SOLVED Set up Windows 10 with non-existent Microsoft Account

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm looking for some help. I bought a lenovo windows 10 laptop for my son for Christmas. I 'helped' him to set it up and at the point of set up was asked to add or create a microsoft email. He didn't have one so I created one. Stupidly I have created an email that does not exist by using the microsoft wizard in the computer set up. This means that my son is being sent verification emails to an address that doesn't exist and can't reset it or change it as he can't log into an email that doesn't exist. I'm thinking that I will need to reset Windows 10 and start from scratch on his new laptop but he's not happy as he's set up his GoPro and transferred all of his pictures and videos across..... Hope that makes sense? I've already trawled the microsoft help pages and got nowhere other than to reset the password - which when you do, sends a verifcation to the non existing email!

Reaction score
What Ian says. A MS account is only needed if you want to use features like Cortana and such. I myself can live without those, that is why I am using a local account only.
2017-01-04_205504.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you, I will give that a try. Just opened the box and followed the instructions without thinking first! Do I need to delete anything I've already done to avoid having two set ups or just create the local one?

Reaction score
just create the local one. Your MS account is actually converted into a local account, hence the log out and back in again....

Ask a Question