SOLVED Setting Folder or Drive to Un-deletable & Securing Data

Reaction score
I should have done this years ago but I've finally been taking steps to secure precious data on my pc here is what I've done so far..

1) Encrypt all data with Cryptomator
2) Backup encrypted data to local NAS
3) Sync encrypted data to amazon cloud drive with odrive

Now I'm trying to setup permissions for a folder so that any data within it cannot be deleted. I've tried the following instructions below found on microsoft, but I'm still able to delete files/folders..What could I be doing wrong? And any extra advice on how I could secure my data more would be appreciated : )

Thanks!

1. Right-click the folder you want to protect (I'm using c:\users\shawn\pictures) and choose Properties.

2. On the Security tab, click Advanced. The 'Advanced Security Settings for Pictures' dialog options.

3. Click the Change Permissions... button.

4. Click the Add... button, and type "everyone" (no quotes) into the box, then click OK. A 'Permission Entry' dialog appears.

5. Scroll to the bottom. Place a checkmark in the 'Deny' column for "Delete". Do not add any other checkmarks.
  6. Turn on (checkmark) the option at the bottom called 'Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only', then click OK.
  7. Turn on (checkmark) the option at the bottom called 'Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object', then click OK.

8. Windows will set the deny permission on every file and subfolder under this folder, unless you have set up one to not inherit permissions from its parent (you probably haven't done that).

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

The post you referred to was for the Windows 7 OS.

The principal however is pretty much the same.
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<your username here>
  • Right-click on Pictures and select Properties
  • Click the Security tab

Example image of what you will see at this point

Picture Properties 1.png

Note: As you have all ready tried this you may also see above System your new addition Everyone. If you do see this entry left-click on Everyone then click Edit button which will open the Permissions for Pictures dialog. In this dialog click Remove button then click OK. That dialog will close and return you to above dialog image example.
  • OK hopefully now you have removed the Everyone which will allow us to start over fresh.
  • In the Picture Properties window on the Security tab as illustrated above click the Advanced button.

This opens the Advanced Security Settings for Pictures window like the example below:

Picture Properties 2.png

You will notice the box next to "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" is not checked!
  • Click the Add button now

This will open the Permission Entry for Pictures dialog as illustrated below:

Picture Properties 3.png
  • Click on the hyperlinked Select a principal

A new window opens like so:

Picture Properties 4.png
  • In the text box beneath Enter the object name to select (examples): type the following
    • everyone
    • Now click OK

Sample image

Picture Properties 5.png
  • That dialog window now closes returning you to the Permission Entry for Pictures window.

This window is divided into two halves. The top halve has three entries:

Principal: Everyone
    Type: Allow
    Applies to: This folder, subfolders and files

The bottom halve will have a few boxes checked.
Click the Clear all button in that bottom halve

Picture Properties 6.png

You ought to see this now!

Picture Properties 7.png

• Next in the top halve click the drop arrow for type and select Deny.
  • Make sure that Applies to: still points to This folder, subfolders and files
  • In the bottom halve you will see Basic permissions and no box checked
  • Click the hyperlinked Show advanced permissions

In the window that opens all boxes are not checked. Place checks in boxes next to:

Delete subfolders and file
    Delete
    Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container

Sample image below:

Picture Properties 8.png

Click OK

• This closes the window and you are now returned to Advanced Security Settings for Pictures.

Click OK

• You will now see a security alert splash screen. Click Yes

Picture Properties 9.png

• This closes the window and you now see Pictures Properties window. Click OK

That's it. You can now access the folder and any subfolder to view contents. You will not be permitted to delete any contents though, and if you try an alert will pop up like so:

Picture Properties 10.png

Note: To reverse all this you can either remove your Everyone as I suggested at the start of all of this, or you can simply edit the current Everyone and change the Allow and Deny permissions as you just did.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey regedit,

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I've followed it exactly and was still able to delete files, BUT I unchecked "Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container" and it worked. :confused: My wild guess is it's because of odrive and how it syncs data which was causing the issue

Anyways thanks again :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
My wild guess is it's because of odrive and how it syncs data which was causing the issue

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Yes sorry I forgot to allow for the cloud syncing. Good to know that its in a state now that works for your setup.

If you are good to go and no more issues don't forget to mark the thread as solved.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question