Shortcuts or Apps ?

Reaction score
When is it better to use a shortcut as opposed to an app, and vice versa? Is there any difference or, indeed, any point if all you have to do is go into the relevant website anyway. Why, for instance, have a shortcut or app for yahoo mail when all I need to do is go into the yahoo website and take it from there? And what is an image? And how do you add or install any of these using Windows 10 because for the life of me I cannot work out how. My brand new spanking laptop is doing everything except the things I bought it for. Thank you.

Reaction score
When is it better to use a shortcut as opposed to an app, and vice versa? Is there any difference or, indeed, any point if all you have to do is go into the relevant website anyway. Why, for instance, have a shortcut or app for yahoo mail when all I need to do is go into the yahoo website and take it from there? And what is an image? And how do you add or install any of these using Windows 10 because for the life of me I cannot work out how. My brand new spanking laptop is doing everything except the things I bought it for. Thank you.
IMO, the menu items are shortcuts to the programs you have installed. Not clear on your first sentence threfore. If you need to use an app on you computer, you have to select its executive. The shortcut does this for you?
But, I think your posty is only referring to websites? Again, Yahoo from your post, a shortcut can be placed as a favourite in your bookmarks and will then perform the mouse selection work for you.
Can you specify in a little more detail, which installation you are having difficulty with?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
or instance, have a shortcut or app for yahoo mail when all I need to do is go into the yahoo website and take it from there?
That's simple....web-base mail doesn't have any so called short cuts as you stated, it's a website. All those web-based email work that way. You can create a shortcut to open the browser and place it on your desktop or create a quick launch short cut on you keyboard.

You have to use the short cuts to open any software or app as those are the GUI executables. Not like back in the days of DOS were you had to type in a few lines of code to open software.

And what is an image?
An image is a snap shot of your complete OS and all your software so you can do a backup in case of some catastrophic drive failure or OS failure.

Ask a Question