Shut down screen freezes

Reaction score
IMG_3060.JPG
My new (2016) laptop just recently started freezing on the shut down screen when I shut down or restart the computer. It doesn't happen every time but most of the time. Whether is has any relevance, it started after I clicked "shut down" and then closed the laptop lid while it was shutting down because I wasn't thinking. 5-10 minutes later I checked if my laptop had shut down but it hadn't and was frozen on the shut down screen (first incidence of this happening). Nothing else seems wrong and I've run sfc /scannow without anything reported back as corrupted or fixed. I have even let the laptop sit for a long time before having to force shut it down. But even with a force shut down, I do not get the error message saying the device was shut down incorrectly on startup.

Please advice if this is a known issue so I can stop resorting to the force shut down. I have uploaded a picture of the frozen screen.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Have you checked your Event Viewer to confirm what is hanging during shutdown?

Right-click Start then select Event Viewer

If you're not familiar with this tool ask and I or someone else can walk you through the necessary steps to self analyze your particular situation.

Could you let us know too what if any third party applications you are using for maintenance or security; for example, Norton, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Ad-Ware, etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Footnote: I had a similar experience a while back. For me it turned out to be a classic case of Malwarebytes and Norton 360 not getting along on security scans during shutdown. Solution: remove Malwarebytes - its a pretty useless program anyway :rolleyes:

On a later occasion updating my BIOS resolved a shutdown freeze too.

Ask a Question