Shutdown - Sleeps Instead of Power Off

Reaction score
Dell laptop Inspiron (15-7537). Upgraded from Windows 8.1. When I click Windows-Power-Shutdown the computer appears to shutdown but it actually goes into sleep mode. Power settings are definitely set so power button will shutdown and not sleep. After computer has been off for more than a few minutes it won't restart with power button unless I hold the power button down for several seconds first (like a hard reboot).

Reaction score
Just a suggestion. No guarantees......................
Run sfc /scannow and if necessary dism

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Reaction score
David - thank you for the suggestion. There was no integrity problem. I also tried a C-A-D and clicked the power-off option but the battery continued to run down overnight which indicates to me that it was sleeping instead of powered off.

Reaction score
I am sorry.
I have no answer for you.
Please wait a bit for someone else to come along.
Thank you.

Reaction score
JScott,
My last bag of tricks.................
In the search box next to Start, type device manager > click Device Manager at top left > scroll down to System Devices > click it open > right click at ACPI Fixed Feature Button > click Uninstall.
Restart computer.

Now try the Shut Down option and see if it actually shuts down and goes to sleep.

Ask a Question