SOLVED Sign in goes to narator at start up

Reaction score
I cannot complete the sign in because narrator starts up and one of the letters to the password is a "p" and it brings up the wifi options. The sign in will not let me sign in with my Microsoft sign in. I have to hit Esc and then narrator goes off and then I am able to sign in with no problem.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi allaroundthehouse,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not come across that bug before. Narrator can be turned on with the hotkey combo Enter + winkey.

Is it possible you have one or both of these keys stuck on your keyboard? That may be why its triggering as you boot up.

At the logon screen though you can press winkey + Enter and turn off Narrator before entering password, or you could also try another combo: capslock + escape keys.

Once you log on to your computer there are a couple of things you could do that may prevent this reoccuring:
  1. Left-click on Start
  2. Left-click on Settings
  3. Left-click on Ease of Access
  4. Left-click on Narrator in the left column
  5. Toggle to off both toggles

Untitled.png

It's likely though that second toggle option may be greyed out for you and you may not be able to shift it if its all ready on. In that scenario you can go with plan B and modify permissions for Narrator for a specific User.

Thus assuming you are logged on with Administrative permissions you can do the following:
  • Left-click on Search
  • In the search box type Narrator
  • Right-click on Narrator when it appears at top of search results and choose Open file location
  • Now at the file location right-click on Narrator and choose Properties
  • Left-click on the Security tab
  • Left-click on User name you are having trouble with to highlight then click Edit

I've chosen my Reg Edit user as example (note it normally displays an email address here too, but I deleted this for privacy. Your Username thus may have an email address)

Untitled2.png

• A new window will pop open titled Permissions for narrator. In this window beneath the Deny column check the boxes next to Read & Execute and Read then click OK

Note: When you check Read & Execute the Read box will auto check. This is normal. If it does not then check it too.

Untitled3.png

• After clicking OK a Windows Security box will pop up. Click Yes

Untitled4.png

• This will return you to the Narrator Properties window. Click OK

That ought to prevent this issue occurring again. You could apply these steps to all the User accounts listed in the Narrator Properties window including the System user, however System and some other User accounts require full Administrator access to modify which involves taking ownership of key files. For now I don't believe that should be necessary in your case.
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
"Is it possible you have one or both of these keys stuck on your keyboard? That may be why its triggering as you boot up." Thanks for the suggestion. The Win keys was stuck down on my Dell keyboard. Problem went away.

Ask a Question