Sign-in Option unavailable

Reaction score
In Accounts, when I click Sign-in Options, that text turns darker, indicating selection, but no options appear and I can then select no other choices under Accounts. SFC /SCANNOW shows no integrity violations and my PC is up to date. Any ideas why sign-in options doesn't work?

I don't remember if I enabled signing in without a password, probably in Windows 7, if that was available, because that may have carried over to Windows 10 when I upgraded. So would the sign-in option simply not work if one enables signing in without a password?

Reaction score
I don't remember if I enabled signing in without a password, probably in Windows 7

let's make sure........
Right click at Start > select Run > in the Run box, type netplwiz > press Ok .
In the new window, is the box "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" blank ?
If yes, check the box > Apply/OK.
Restart.

Now go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options > and see if options are available now

Reaction score
It's been so long, I don't remember the password. Can I view it somewhere? My admin account has the highest privileges.

Reaction score
I apologize in advance.

helping others to change password is a touchy subject.
I am old-fashioned and I am reluctant to get involved in that subject.
Please wait a bit. Some one will come along to assist you.
Good luck.

Reaction score
I figured I might get into trouble broaching this topic. I don't need to recover or be reminded of my password as long as someone here can confirm that the reason the sign-in option isn't available is because I'm signing in without needing a password. If not, than something else is wrong in my Windows 10.

Reaction score
My last suggestion and you probably throw it out to the thrash can after the 3rd sentence.
:)

I am assuming that your Win 10 is activated ? Yes ?
If no. Stop reading the rest.
If yes, consider doing a Clean Install.
Use the link below and download the Media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the right bit-version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then run the Tool and select the option .....Create installation media for another PC
That will start downloading the Win 10 ISO file to your computer.
When download is done, burn it to a bootable DVD or USB, and use it to do a Clean Install.
This time, during the install, make sure you use your Microsoft account and enter a password.
Keep a paper copy of the password.
I am assuming the Clean Install will be successful and that activation will be automatic.

When dust is settled, you can, if that is your preference, use the Netplwiz option to bypass password sign in requirement.

Ask a Question